Can't Get Prime

I realized my old pool pump was bad as I was opening my pool back in May. Due to a super busy schedule over the summer, I just now replaced it and installed a new Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump. I've been trying to get prime the last few hours and haven't had any luck. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Jeff, to help us provide a good answer to solve your priming issue, perhaps you can you briefly walk us through the steps you do when trying to prime? Also, did you fill the pump basket with water and secure the lid real well? Check to ensure skimmer weir is not closed or anything preventing water from entering the skimmer? What is the approximate distance from your pool to the pump? Is the equipment pad level with or significantly higher than the pool? Also, is there a check valve between the pump and the skimmer? After your pump replacement, did you refill your filter housing with water? Open the air release? Not sure how long you actually let the pump run while trying to prime, but some folks lett it run for 3-5 minutes to try and prime the suction line/pump.

I found is useful in a recent personal experience of priming to turn-on the pump for a bit after filling the basket with water, let it try for about 30 sec, then let it rest and try again in cycles. Refill the basket etc. Once I was so frustrated I let it sit for about 15 minutes then it primed right up. Just needed time to settle I guess.

Thanks for the responses. I did have to modify the plumbing for the new pump. I cannot detect any leaks in those two areas. I filled the pump basket and secured the lid. The skimmer door is open. It is approximately 30 feet from my pool to the pump and the equipment pad is level with the pool. There is not a check valve between the pump and the skimmer. The filter housing filled as I was filling the pump basket. The air release is open. I was letting it run 3-5 minutes trying to get a prime. Then I would take a 2-3 minute break and try again.

It's frustrating because the pump that I replaced would prime quickly every time before it went bad. I would have replaced it with the same model if they hadn't discontinued it. Anyway, I'm sort of at a standstill not knowing what to check next.

I suspect we can trace the fault to one of the following:
- Air leak on suction side (make sure you try everything listed on the Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page)
- Air Gap between skimmer and pump (i.e. along plumbing) (Perhaps take a garden hose and push it in the plumbing from the skimmer the try and fill the line with water)
- Pump itself not drawing/pulling water for some reason (if it's drawing water out of the pump basket when initially filled, then it should be okay)
As long as your new plumbing mods aren't too extreme, that shouldn't be an issue. But in my experience (similar set-up to yours in distance between pump and pool and level), once water gets sucked out of the pump basket, it will struggle if the water from the plumbing isn't right behind it. A little air gap is fine, but too much and it can struggle. Maybe others will have a thought or two that isn't coming to me right now. It's still early. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.