Leak in winter cover

I believe I have a leak in my winter pool cover? I keep pumping water off of it, but the water never gets off the top part of the cover and water level has gone down dramatically?

What do I do? Replace the cover? That's the only solution I can see because having this little water in the pool scares me.

You should raise the water level in the pool if you are that concerned.

The only options you really have is to either repair or replace the current cover, or deal with it until spring.

If you decide to wait until spring, just don't pump as much water off the cover. The "hole" may let some dirt/debris in the pool that will need to be addressed when you open, but other than that it should not be an issue if the pool was closed properly.

Dom

What do I do? Replace the cover?

...If your pump is running and when done there is little water left, then you have a small tear in the cover. This means you finished and came back the next day to water back on the cover. You can leave the cover on, just allow the water to fill up. In the spring, pump water off the cover and back into the pool. As you are pumping water off, have a helper pull the cover on each side and support it so the cover is above the water line or you will be siphoning water from the pool (happened to me). Then you can either repair the cover or replace it.

... If your pump is running and the water is still on the cover, then you have a large tear in the cover. The cover should be replaced at this point. You could leave this on during the winter, just do not remove water unless it is extremely high in the pool. The water will also act as an insulator for the lower part.

This year, what I have done is created a lot of slack in the deep end and by the steps so water can stay in this area. Covers have a tendency to rip in areas where they are being pulled (like a 90* degree corner), which you could place some foam padding, etc. I gave enough slack so hopefully there will be no problems.

...If your pump is running and when done there is little water left, then you have a small tear in the cover. This means you finished and came back the next day to water back on the cover. You can leave the cover on, just allow the water to fill up. In the spring, pump water off the cover and back into the pool. As you are pumping water off, have a helper pull the cover on each side and support it so the cover is above the water line or you will be siphoning water from the pool (happened to me). Then you can either repair the cover or replace it.

... If your pump is running and the water is still on the cover, then you have a large tear in the cover. The cover should be replaced at this point. You could leave this on during the winter, just do not remove water unless it is extremely high in the pool. The water will also act as an insulator for the lower part.

This year, what I have done is created a lot of slack in the deep end and by the steps so water can stay in this area. Covers have a tendency to rip in areas where they are being pulled (like a 90* degree corner), which you could place some foam padding, etc. I gave enough slack so hopefully there will be no problems.

Yes, I think I will try to get the cover off the pool and just leave it. I read on the web that you can put the cover pump far away from the hole and that will stop you from siphoning water from the pool. I will adjust it that way.

There is enough water in the pool (i have a gunite IG) that it won't "pop" out of the ground, as we are also on top of a hill and there is so way the water table is high enough, and there is still a considerable amount of water in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.