New To The Pool Scene... PLEASE HELP!

Aug 17, 2015
Fredericksburg, VA
Hey there everyone... My name is Ron. I am located in Fredericksburg, VA...

I just had a brand new pool installed at my home in Late July and we are getting ready to have it closed for the first time...

I have a company coming to blow out the lines and cover the pool for the first season because it was included with the LoopLoc Cover Purchase... However, they are only installing the cover and blowing the lines... All Chemicals need to be set prior to them closing...

Here is a picture of how I am sitting as of this morning...

12067834_1196404163708046_342531014_n.jpg

I currently have the SWG turned to 30%...

I just added about 32oz of Metal and Stain Remover and have the Pump running 24 hrs till closing on Thursday...

I am going to add a dose of Algaecide on Tuesday...

I was instructed to shock the pool using Calcium Hypochlorite on Tuesday by the pool company, however, with levels as high as they are is it needed???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Last thing I want to do is open up to a Green Pool next year...

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE!!!

RON GRECCO

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Here at TFP we don't give advice based on test strips. The ranges given are not accurate enough and reliable enough to base advice on. A recommended drop-based test kit is required to follow TFP methods. See recommended kits here: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

You can review our recommendations for closing here as well: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Metal removers are not recommended for closing here as they should only be needed if you have a known metals problem. If you're going to use an algaecide, make sure it has no metals such as copper in it. Polyquat-60 algaecides are the only ones recommended here.

Welcome to TFP!

Why the metal and stain remover? There really isn't a metal remover. Once in the water metal stays there until you change water.

What algecice are you planning on using? We only recommend Quat based algecides and NEVER any with metals (look for copper in the ingredients). They sell you a copper based algecide and then tell you you have metal in the water so they have to sell you stuff for that.

I'm sorry to say your test strip is worthless. If they are ever right it is purely by accident. You need a real test kit. Before next season I recommend you pick up a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net.

The CalHypo they are recommending is adding calcium that your vinyl pool does not need. While at low levels calcium doesn't really do anything to your vinyl pool as it build up it can do bad things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.