Pool lights and algae

tdp

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 16, 2015
Suburban Philadelphia
I had an algae problem about a month ago and SLAMed successfully. The pool looks great now, but I can see some brownish stuff in my pool lights.
Can I remove the lights while they're under water (after shutting off breaker, of course). Don't want to electrocute myself next year when I turn them on again :) BTW, they are PAL led lights. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you see things behind the lens they really don't contact the water.

But, in answer to your question yes, you can remove the light. The bulb is enclosed inside a sealed unit so removing it from the wall is safe. There should be sufficient cord length behind the light to allow you to bring it up onto the pool deck for service when you remove it from the wall.

If you need to open the sealed unit understand that there is generally a gasket between the lens and housing that holds the bulb. Most manufacturers recommend replacing this gasket if you open the light. Figure somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 for a new gasket.

Be ready for a plume of yuck to come out when you do this. Some folks will have their vacuum hose ready to suck up whatever comes out. This is usually a suggestion made during a SLAM so the elevated FC can get in there and kill off anything still trying to hang on.

The area behind the light is flooded right now, so don't worry about the bucket of bleach and toothbrush. Just opening it up will allow the higher chlorinated water in and clean stuff up. But, as Bob said having your vacuum sucking before you open it will get rid of a lot of the junk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.