Pool Heating Solution for Florida ?

Bought the house and had the pool redone this past spring. Have a 400k Hayward NG heater for the pool and the spa. Heats the spa to 104 degrees in around 30 minutes, and will add 5 or 6 degrees to the pool in an hour and a half. Don't have a solar cover and don't plan to get one. Pool is mostly shaded in the winter because of trees on the east, south, and west sides, so the cover would only hold heat in, and don't really want to wrestle with a huge piece of bubble wrap. Plan to heat the pool only occasionally, but hope to heat the spa lots this winter. Haven't had huge gas bills yet, but I suppose we will see. Can't speak to gas line because heater replaced a long dead one that was already there. I think the line runs directly from the meter.

Re: Homemade Solar Mats11

I just use clearance one ring baby pools at .50 a pop. Keeping my pool in the upper 70's n 80's. Cost a whole 7.50$...: ) same technology as the solar mats that range from 30-50$.

Do you have a link to this product? I do not understand what it is.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Since you are in south Florida, you should also consider solar heat, which may be an economically viable option, particularly if you don't mind settling for less than a 12 month pool season.

Ike

Hi Isaac,

What are the best solar heat options in the market?

Can anyone help me *estimate* the Lifetime Costs if I install a 400k Raypak heating unit for my pool ?

Unit cost ~ $2,000 ?

Unit Installation cost ~ $ __________ ?

Natural Gas Line Install ~ $ ________ ?

Monthly Bill Increase ~ $ ________ ? (Friend in neighborhood said his bill went from $50 t0 $400 per month when heating pool!?!?)

THank You !!

There are probably a bunch of threads around the site that cover most of those. The problem is that most of the answers are very site dependent.

In my case all I would have is parts cost because I would do it all myself. As soon as I buy the house I'm in I'm going to replace the dead heater myself.

There are pretty good calculators on the heater manufactures websites. I did a cost for my house and it worked out that gas was 3 times cheaper then electric. My gas is only 40 cents a therm. Yours is probably much different then that.

Can anyone help me *estimate* the Lifetime Costs if I install a 400k Raypak heating unit for my pool ?

Unit cost ~ $2,000 ?

Unit Installation cost ~ $ __________ ?

Natural Gas Line Install ~ $ ________ ?

Monthly Bill Increase ~ $ ________ ? (Friend in neighborhood said his bill went from $50 t0 $400 per month when heating pool!?!?)

THank You !!

Installation cost - local plumbers rate for a few hours.

N/G Install - PB's around here charge by the number of feet required to get from the main NG meter to the equipment pad and can run easily $10-$15 per foot of gas line. Also, the line has to be buried in a trench per local code and pressure tested. Typically an inspector has to sign off on it before the gas company will hook it up. You may also need a larger gas meter at the main in order to allow for enough volume and flow. Use 2" gas pipe as that gives you a big enough volume for the heater.

Monthly bill increase - yeah, gas heaters are great for spa's (<1,000 gallons) but will send you to the poor house for heating pools!! It takes 1 BTU of energy to raise 1lbs of water 1 deg F. You can calculate the number of pounds of water in your pool and see how many BTU's that takes. Gas companies typically charge in $/THERM. A THERM is 100,000 BTU's. But yes, if you tried to heat my 16,000 gallon swimming pool every day just 2-4 deg F for a month, my gas bill would easily be hundreds of dollars.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Raypak 400k btu heats our pool around 2 degree's per hour and our spa in around 45 minutes. I don't remember what the therm cost was but when I last looked it costs about $2 per hour to run our heater.

We had a 250K btu heater installed this year. First quote was $2100 for the gas line. I was able to find someone else to do it for $900 provided that I dug the trench (no small feat). This was for 80 feet of line.

Regarding gas costs, my utility charges less per therm as usage increases. I calculated, based on my rates, that if I run the heater 8 days per month @ 8 hours per day I would spend about $80 in gas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.