nitrates and hydraulic hoses

3dogowner

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 11, 2014
Seattle, WA
Thanks to TFP I have very successfully been maintaining my pool. However in the last 4-8 weeks I have started to see a few white flakes, which have become more obvious with time. Initially I thought it was just stuff (small white flower petals) from neighboring yards and it was easily skimmed from the water before each swim session. Recently there is more and more, reminding me of a swim in a snow globe. Given that we are well past the flowering tree phase in my area, this has been a puzzle. I "captured" some of the white flaky debris and noted a texture to the surface of some of the larger fragments, and possible letter-type. Searching around TFP I came across a thread mentioning a very similar issue that seemed to be due to shedding from the hydraulic hoses which run the current generator at the front of the pool. Attached are photos of the debris and my hoses. The hoses were originally black with white lettering on them. There's no obvious flaking noted on the section visible in the photo. The hose texture and the texture noted in the larger flakes is remarkably similar.....the 2 inch area of slightly darker hose was what was under an inspection sticker that I removed during filming. That is a standard garden hose washer for size comparison.

20150920_154620.jpg
20150920_154700.jpg
GOPR0132.jpg

I do not otherwise have any water issues - testing in the last 24 hrs: pH of 7.5, FC 3.0, CC <0.5, CYA 25, TA 90, CH 120, Borates 50. The pool is above ground with an automatic cover so very little debris gets in and there is no run-off into it. I occasionally let the dogs swim in it, but they are clean (artificial turf, decking) with no mud/dirt/dingleberries. We average 1 person 45 min use 4 days per week. The filter is changed each week (50 SF paper cartridge). There has never been a slime, cloudiness, or green algae issue. The TFP method has worked great for me.

Customer service of the pool manufacturer has mentioned a problem with high nitrates interacting with the hydraulic hoses. Is this even possible? I have a local water quality lab that will test my water for nitrites and nitrates for $25. I don't trust the local pool stores. While they said that the hoses could be replaced, they thought it likely that it would happen again if the nitrates are high. I can't even begin to guess what the source would be. My water source is Seattle City tap water. A second suggestion made by customer service is that for further protection I wrap the hoses in Nashua Stretch and Seal Tape. Everything I read about nitrates on TFP suggests they are NOT an issue in a pool - anyone know of any issues with nitrate interacting with equipment, like exposed hydraulic hoses? Without further deconstruction of the pool, I do not readily have access to visually inspect where the hoses actually attach to the propeller motor in the current generator. Also does anyone know if this Nashua tape can be applied under water? I see on the internet that it should remain in place when wet forming a dry seal, however... or will I have to drain the pool?

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Well, there are all kinds of stuff out on the great WWW regarding nitrates and nitrites but most relate to them being in food.

The only other time I've heard of nitrates is in my fish tank and it is part of the nitrogen cycle a tank goes through as ammonia expelled by fish and decaying matter (plant and food) is turned into nitrites and then that is turned into nitrates (by various bacteria) and one gets rid of nitrates by regular water changes.

Perhaps Chem Geek will see this and weigh in on it for you.

I am not aware of any mechanism where nitrate would degrade plastic materials such as found in hoses. I would think that the pH being too low or the active chlorine level too high would be more likely candidates unless the hose material were simply poorly manufactured. See this link for an interesting list of plastic degradation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.