green pool and chlorine does not stay

odilew

Sep 20, 2015
TUCSON
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I have been fighting with my pool for about 2 months now.
At first I would go to the store and they'd check my numbers, then after hundreds of dollars of supplies, I would end up with some amelioration, but never any cigar.
After a few days, things would go back to where they were. Algicide, chlorine, shock, you name it, I have tried it.
BTW, I live in az, where the temps are wonderful for algea growth.

I switched to chlorine and baking soda for ph.
My ph is ok, but the chlorine does not stay.
My pool is a light milky green.
I add a lot of chlorine. Numbers for ph, and chlorine are ok for about a day, and then free chlorine falls back to 0.
I added more and more chlorine, but I still don't get any results.
the pool is still milky light green, cloudy.

What should I do and where should I start?
Odile

Hi Welcome to TFP.
unfortunately, you along with thousands of others who come here for help, have been pool stored.

The very best advice I can give you, is get yourself your own reliable test kit. There are only 2 which we recommend here on TFP.
The TF100 or the K2006C. You can get the TF100 at TFTestkits.net The K2006C is also available there, and other places online.
In order to know what to add to the pool, you must be able to reliably test it. Its pretty much that simple. A good test kit will be THE
best investment you can make in your pool.

Next, read the ABC's of pool school, to learn how the different water parameters play together.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You are going to need to know the recommended chemistry levels in order to get your pool in shape and keep it that way. We have that available too.
Pool School - Recommended Levels

And here is a cheat sheet, on knowing at what FC level to maintain. The proper FC level depends on how much CYA is in the water.
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

After you get a test kit, you will need to SLAM the pool. Its similar to shocking but not using pool store shock. And its a process, not a 1 time thing.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And, (yea this is the last one), you will need to learn how to use pool math to calculate how much of something to add to the pool. THis and your Test Kit will be life savers.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

This may seem like a lot, but it really isnt. No one expects you to learn all of this in an instant. Please ask questions if you have them.

By The Way,
you have been battling your pool because the FC is not sufficient (relative to the CYA), to keep the algae away. In a nut shell, Its that simple.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.