Intermittent FL2 error

Oct 2, 2014
Los Alamos, NM
I have a J-335 hot tub that is about 10 years old. It was drained over the summer after we had pump 1 replaced (bad bearings) and pump 2's seal replaced (leak). I started it back up this past weekend, and since then have been getting an intermittent FL2 error code. I tried removing filter 1 and putting the hose over the heater return fitting, but this didn't help. It sounds like it is either a faulty pressure/flow switch, or a bad circuit board. Does anyone have any insight into which is more likely?

There is not a real pattern I've seen yet as to when the code is on or off. With the exception of one evening this week, even when the code is on I can run pump 1. I pulled the front panel off and verified that when I do this the flow switch opens and closes as it should. In general, if I set the temperature to higher than the current temp, the heater and circulation pump will kick on and the error message will go away. However, for the past day I had no error message even with the temperature set to lower than the current temp (but the code came back tonight after the filtration cycle ran).

Even if the code isn't indicative of the problem it thinks it has (i.e. flow switch malfunctioning closed), when the code is on the circulation pump does not run, so I really want to get this figured out.

Today's update:

If I run pump 1, the flow switch closes and the error code turns off (because the flow switch is supposed to be closed with the pump running). When I turn off the pump, the circulation pump turns on with no error code. After a minute or two, the circulation pump turns off and at the same time, the flow switch opens and I get the FL2 error ("malfunctioning closed"). Some time later (30 sec to a few minutes), the circulation pump turns back on again, the flow switch closes, and the error code goes away. And repeat...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.