Removing CYA with melamine

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I was doing some research into the CYA test and learned that melamine is used to precipitate the CYA and the turbidity produced is used to estimate the amount of CYA. It occurs to me that melamine might be effective in removing or reducing the CYA levels in a pool. That would avoid having to drain and refill when the CYA gets too high. Has anyone tried this? Is there some reason it cannot or should not be done?

While completely possible in theory, it doesn't work out so well in practice. To begin with melamine is poisonous and somewhat expensive in the quantities required. There is also the problem of getting the resulting white powder out of the water, which is a project in it's self.

There was a product on the market for a while that removed CYA, but it failed, apparently because it was expensive and often caused new problems. I think it used melamine, along with some other things that were supposed to make it simpler to get the resulting powder out of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.