Above Ground Pool Lights

rob.mwpropane

In The Industry
Jun 9, 2015
Baldwin, Maryland
I'd like to know if anyone has a better option for above ground pools than what's out there? Can a niche be installed on an AGP. If so, does any one here have pictures. I'll be hones, I have never held a nich, so I don't know if there's a gasket that would seal against the wall if I cut a hole in the wall??

This was my first year having a pool from beginning to end....kind of sucks the season's so short. I mean, summer flew by.....

I have used the Intex Lights for about 4 years. They work great for me, I have 2 of them that I use on the 18' round pool. The base and the light are magnetic so that they hang on the wall. They are bright LED's ...

I have the Intex magnetic light as well. Here's what it looks like at night.

temporary_zpsd245d1f1.jpg

Do they work on metal pools? I have an 16x32 with the metal siding. They look nice and bright but the intex ones I've seen only work on vinyl pools? Link?

I wouldn't mind cutting a hole in the side to install a nice expensive color changing led, but I don't want to cut the hole and find out I can't seal it...

Thanks for the replies guys.

A magnetic light will stick to your metal wall through the liner. have you looked into the Nightlighter brand; 110 volt plug in hang over the side. Comes in colors too.

Don't cut a hole in your pool wall and try to adapt something for an in-ground pool to put in a light - that is just asking for problems.

You can get a variety of lights that are magnetic, or can float, or people have put rope lights under the inside edge of the top rail.

There are also a number of lights that fit into your existing return. They work as both a light and a return. I have an Aqualuminator, which is one of those types. It works OK. It does not light up my entire 27' round pool, but for a smaller pool (I would say anything 20' or less) it should reach across the pool.

The Aqualimintor is OK, but it does have a bit of a weird exterior housing, and if you want to hard plumb it, there is a special adaptor you have to buy that glues on, allowing 2" PVC to connect. The part is not expensive, but just try to find a place that has them in stock (took me a while).

I guess, if you wanted more light, you could cut another return sized (2.5" or so) hole in your pool and add an other light, and just plug the pipe. I'm not sure how that would work in the winter, you might have to add a drain to get the water out, plus it would be a breeding ground for algae and other nasties.

Must return fitting lights have to come out in the winter too - or else the bulbs die. That is something else to think about.

-dave

Reactions: Klink00
We have a 30 foot round and two Niteliter's, one color and one white light. They give the pool a nice bright lite but if yours is smaller I would suggest just getting one. A drawback to the brighter a pool gets is the more insects it attracts at night!!! Our bats keep flying over catching the bugs that fly by leaving my husband to often turn them off and swim by moon light - which is often very bright in itself! We also bought a Bliss Light, which is a laser light that we set into the ground and it has a prism inside that lights the trees and makes them really shimmer. QVC has the best price on those.

This thread with its answers, sure could use pictures along with the advice as to what perhaps to use. Please post them if you would, so we all can see what different lights do to different pools. I am wanting lights but jut don't know what works and what doesn't. Looking at a light on the computer is not much help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.