Vacation: Solar Cover or Solid Cover

Jun 23, 2014
I was reading through some of the vacation threads, and as you would think it's mentioned it's best to cover the pool if you plan to be away. However, no one mentioned which cover would be better, the solar cover (in my case, clear) or solid (winter) cover.

First off, I'm only going to be away for a long weekend (fri morning to Sunday evening). My pool is a 16' round intex ultra frame AGP, running off the intex pump/cartridge filter combo. My plan is to clean the filter, and take the fc up to slam level of 12 for cya 30. I figured I would cover it to keep debris out, and help with my fc loss. I was just wondering if there was an advantage to one cover over the other. I'm inclined to think that since fc is eaten by sunlight, that the winter cover would be better to protect from chlorine loss. However, I know when I use my solar cover, the fc loss is also less. The solar cover is readily accessible, while the winter cover would have to be dragged out to be put on. Just thought I'd ask the experts their opinion before choosing one or the other. I'm thinking in my case since its a short trip, it won't matter much, but for those wondering the same over a lengthier vacation it may be helpful.

I just left for 7 days.

Brought my pool up to shock level about an hour before i left, turned the pump on low and covered with solar cover.

Came home 7 days later and still have an FC of roughly 3. I also put a couple of tabs in the floater.

You'll be fine with just th solar cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.