Algae all gone, now what

Sharkygirl

Gold Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Sarasota, FL
I will try to keep this brief- if that's possible. My pool is at my vacation home. So I'm not there. I have SWG's for the pool and spa. I hired a pool person to manage my pool. They came once a week. Well they didn't watch the salt levels in the pool, I had a leak in the auto-fill line and the parameters set for the SWG didn't match the salt levels in the pool and the board for the SWG burned out. Well, this is what I'm told anyway. My pool turned green in less than 6 days. The pool guy was putting chlorine tabs with cya in the pool and sent my cya 150+. In the end, I told the pool guy he is done and hired a new pool company. They got the pool "sparkling" in 2 days. They also used an algaecide. So my question now is, once the SWG is up and running - is it necessary for them to keep adding this algaecide for "maintenance"? It is called "Yellow Treat" by United Chemical. I can't wait to get back to my home for the winter. It is so difficult to leave the pool maintenance to someone else.

We don't typically recommend the use of algaecides either because they don't work, are not the root cause of the issue, or add metals to the water (i.e. copper in your case). Proper (consistent) management of FC (chlorine) and CYA (stabilizer) is what's needed to keep that water clear. Not sure about that product specifically, but if it does contain copper, you could end-up with metal staining issues later or even green hair if the other chemical levels get out of whack. So keep a watchful eye on that as well.

I suppose others will have a comment or two and this thread continues. Have a nice day!

Thank you. I do not think this product contains any metals. It is 88% Bromide. Yellow Treat | United Chemical Corp I like this forum because it clears up confusion and is an excellent resource. My goal is to have a trouble free pool. Personally I want the least amount of chemicals added to the water I swim in period. It's a difficult situation for me because I am not always there. So for me to take care of my pool on my own for 6 months and then have someone else do it for the other 6 months is impractical. I like the idea of getting my pool company on board with this trouble free method. Once I'm there I will talk to them about it. I'm just very grateful they were willing to come on board and rescue me. So if I'm understanding correctly, it shouldn't be necessary to add any algaecide after we are certain all the algae has been killed off - providing the chlorine levels are adequately maintained. By the way they did not drain the pool- they put in a chemical to bring the CYA down. It's still too high at 100.

Apparently they did not add anything to reduce the CYA. However, they did find a leak and fixed it. My Cyanuric acid levels are low now. It is a bit of a puzzle. My chlorinator sensors were all replaced 2 months ago and now they are not working again. I will keep updating. What I do know is so far it has been an education to say the least!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.