Year old Intelliflow pump squeals only when it turns off

Aug 7, 2015
Camarillo
On both High (2400) and Low (1400) speed, it makes a quick squeal right as it gets turned off, slightly louder on High Speed. No noise while running or starting. I called Pentair and the tech rep said "Sometimes pumps do stuff that can't be explained" - I thanked him for the brilliant insight and say goodbye. It was installed mid September 2014.
CIPiping-1.jpg

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I hate to say it, but it is a machine and sometimes they do behave strangely. Perhaps some one can give insight whether or not this is a tell tale of something in the future, but I can't. Until it's an issue, I doubt anything will be done about it. Sorry not to offer anything of more substance. It would annoy me too I'm sure.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I hate to say it, but it is a machine and sometimes they do behave strangely. Perhaps some one can give insight whether or not this is a tell tale of something in the future, but I can't. Until it's an issue, I doubt anything will be done about it. Sorry not to offer anything of more substance. It would annoy me too I'm sure.

Patrick - I have to agree with you, as of this morning, it no longer makes any unusual noise at all. I will monitor it, that's about all I can do. Thanks

I have the same pump...seems to make normal pump/motor type of noises.

As long as it works, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know not much help.

If it does it again, clean out the strainer basket, maybe disconnect the plumbing and shake it and smack it a bit to see if anything is a bit loose or rattling or something.

Sometimes just adjusting its position will fix or make things worse. YMMV (your mileage may vary). :)

There was a rash of Whisperflo (basis for the Intelliflo) pumps a while back that had a slinger against the back plate that chirped/squealed upon shutdown. I don't know what the fix was, but the consensus was that it wasn't hurting anything it was just a noise. Yours may be something like that.

If it gets worse, then I'd start investigating the cause a little more seriously.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.