New kid on the diving block

nooch

Jul 29, 2015
Poway , Ca
Hi all,

Thanks for having me in the community. My pool has been running along pretty nicely since buying this house last summer, but I might spend less time re-inventing the wheel if I can ask you guys questions.

The big question I have right now is about my diving board. It was an eight foot board with a pivot pin slung between two concrete arch-like stands and a single spring. It became a former board because it broke due to dry rot in the inner plywood. It was approximately 30 years old, if not more.

I want to replace it, using the same stands, but contacting SR Smith got me nowhere. A rep told me that the manufacturer of my board went out of business years ago and nobody makes that type of board anymore. She suggested I cut the stands out of the concrete and install a new board and stand. If that is the only way to get a diving board back, I'll do it, but I would rather buy or MAKE a replacement for the old one.

So, the big question is, does anyone have ideas/advice on making a board? I am reasonably competent with building wooden things (decks, tables, sheds, etc) and helped build a fiberglass boat when I was a teenager - many moons ago.

I was thinking of cutting 3/4 or 1 inch plywood to shape, doubling it over and laminating the pieces together. Then I figured I would try to find a fiberglass shop (boat repair?) and have them put the impermeable shell on it. Apply some epoxy with sand for non slip. Drill holes for the pin brackets and spring fitting, seal the holes and start diving! It can't be that simple, can it? Are there any experienced DIYers out there? I have photos if that would help, but I am not sure if it is appropriate to include those here.

I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks.