Do I need a return eyeball?

May 26, 2015
Northeast,Alabama
I have been running it without the eyeball. That's the way it was when I bought the house last year. I went to the pool store and bought one they had. I believe it's a 3/4" opening. Filter pressure starts at 15psi clean and when I installed the eyeball it jumped up to 20psi. The water looked like a wave pool with the eyeball installed. I have 1 skimmer and 1 return. Is the jump in psi bad for the filter? What would be the best way to increase my circulation and direct surface debris to the skimmer. I see they make a 1" eyeball that would lower the psi a little.

Yes a 1 inch eyeball will lower back pressure, but will also not provide as much directed flow as the 3/4 inch, its performance will be about half way between no eyeball and the 3/4 inch you have now (plus allow directing flow direction). Since eyeballs are cheap it is worth trying the 1 inch to see if it gives you enough flow, otherwise stick with the 3/4 inch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.