Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Unions

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Unions

Any one ever deal with a company called FlexPVC, Im looking at buying some 2" unions but cant tell if they are schd 40 or not. Prices seem good. Here's a link, the item i'm looking at is the top left picture 2" union slip x slip
    http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?c ... PVC-Unions
    I emailed them but haven received a response the past week.
    Thanks
    John
    24' AG, Jacuzzi CRF 750 Filter, Magnatek 1.5 HP 2 sp pump
    BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: PVC Unions

Don't shoot me, but unless you plan to purchase several hundered, why not just go to the Home Depot, etc., or your local plumbing store where you can be assured it's Sch. 40? There' can't be that much cost difference, can there? Lasko brand will get you there, or just some Hayward 2" unions, or Praher, or...well, you get my drift.
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

3. Back To Top    #3

John, they should be good for your intended use Unions like these are pretty much only used for pool plumbing so they are pressure fittings (unlike pvc waste line fittings used in homes)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies, the unions at my HD are almost 3.00 more a peace. Im looking at about 10 unions(more than necessary, but easier to take apart). One of the parts Im really interested in is not carried at HD. Its a 1 1/2 mpt adapter/2" slip union - it will save me a few extra pieces.

The other problem Im running into is that my Lowes/HD doesn't have some the of the parts Im looking for in schd 40. For example Id rather use the long 90' elbows than the street ones. I just think it will make things flow better.
    Thanks
    John
    BBB Method

5. Back To Top    #5

John, 10 unions sounds like waaayyy toooo much! Can you post a couple of pics of your pool/ set up? I honestly think that 4 should be enough for about any set up you may have 8)

Just trying to save you some $$ and work
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I am using 8 unions in my pump house that I can think of sitting here at 2AM in the morning.

I bought all of my PVC connections and unions at FlexPVC. I had good luck with them.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I haven't set it up yet - just trying to diagram it and figure out what I need. I'm going to make it so I can take all the pvc apart and bring it inside during winter. One of the reasons I need so many unions is that I have two 3 way valves and want a union at each port to make taking the system apart easier.
    Thanks
    John
    BBB Method

8. Back To Top    #8

I forgot to add that this is where I bought my valves.

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/pool-s ... spa-valves

A lot of my valves I used as reducers to go from 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch hose or pipe.

The heavy duty hose came from

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/produc ... 5Fid=25231

That hose was tough to put on barb fittings; but they got on.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump