endoscopy of skimmer lines through camera

I just brush the bottom of the pool below where I add the bleach. It's like an insurance policy. Lets me know that the bleach hasn't settled to the bottom below the return. It's probably not necessary but it soothes my OCD tendencies. I do the same when adding acid.

Huh. I just had a guy come over who said I should switch from liquid 12.5% to tablets, because it's better on the equipment and liner. Guess not so much?

He doesn't know what he is talking about. Trichlor tabs are very acidic. A saturated solution of Trichlor is 1.2% or 12 g/L or 12,000 ppm. It has a pH of around 2.8 (similar to some sodas) and an FC of around 11,000 ppm. Because of the low pH, the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level is high at around 1700 ppm. Low pH and high active chlorine levels are both corrosive to metal while low pH dissolves plaster and is also harmful to vinyl.

Compare this to 12.5% chlorinating liquid. It's pH is around 12.5 which is not corrosive to metal nor does it dissolve plaster (it would scale if there were calcium present but there is not in chlorinating liquid). It's FC is 125,000 ppm but because of the high pH the active chlorine level is not that high at only 0.9 ppm though as the product gets diluted the pH drops and the active chlorine level rises to a peak at around 1:130 dilution where the pH is around 9.7, the FC around 960 ppm and the active chlorine is 5.5 ppm. There is a minor possible effect from chlorinating liquid or bleach in generating a temporary cloudiness as it is getting diluted since the saturation index gets to +1.7 but that quickly dissipates. The higher pH could also theoretically precipitate metal to increase staining.

When adding any concentrated chemical to the pool, especially for acid but also for chlorinating liquid or bleach, one should add it slowly over a return flow and then lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool in the area where the chemical was added to ensure thorough mixing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.