New pool set up

Jul 15, 2015
Boylston ma
I have just begun setting up my Intex 15' x 48". It came with the Krystal clear 1000 Gph filter pump. I had my water tested and there is copper in it, so I know I need iron out, and it was suggested I use conditioner and chlorine stabilizer. Besides chlorine granular I have is there anything else I need to put in? Also after the directions for the filter, there is a picture for a dual Chanel, but no directions and it is not included in the DVD. There is enough pieces to do it, I just don't understand why the DVD for this specific filter (1000 Gph) doesn't even mention it?

Hello and welcome to TFP. Yes, any new water needs a "conditioner or stabilizer" to protect the new chlorine from the sun. Both products are the same, and their active ingredient is cyanuric acid. You can get it at Wal-Mart or most home improvement stores in the pool section. So that protects the chlorine. For chlorine itself we suggest regular liquid bleach. Generic is fine - unscented. You may also need muriatic acid to adjust PH between 7.2-7.8. HERE is a list of recommended chemicals and what they do.

You mentioned you have copper in the water. If so, you need to add sequestrant regularly to maintain an appropriate level, otherwise you can develop metal stains. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. Remember that sequestrant doesn't get rid of metals, it just holds on to them so that they can't form stains. Sequestrant wears out slowly and must be constantly replaced. The only way to get rid of metals is to replace water with some water that doesn't have metals in it.

You should also ensure you have your own proper test kit. There are two great kits you can order from this site: TFTestkits.net, but we highly discourage pool store testing. Simply unreliable and inconsistent.

Take some time to read the vital links you see below in my signature and they will serve you well. Have a great swimming season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.