Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diatomite??

1. Back To Top    #1

Diatomite??

I was going to add a littel D.E. to my sand filter to help with filtration. I went to my pool store and they sold me Celatom Diatomite. Is diatomite the same as diatomaceous earth? The back of the bag says "amorphous diatomaceous and crystalline silica in varying amounts."
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diatomite??

That is the right stuff. Diatomite is another name for diatomaceous earth, and Celatom is a brand name.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. Do you know how this stuff works? I was very surprised that it was fine like powder. I don't see how it keeps from making its way through the sand back into the pool.
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is actually the silica skeleton of prehistoric creatures called diatoms. It has many fine, microns sized pores in it like a sieve. When you add it to a sand filter it 'dirties' the sand by filling up the spaces between the sand grains to provide finer filtration (since dirty sand will filter better than clean sand, particularly if the sand is old and polished.)
    The reason it does not go through the sand filter is because the actual particle size of the DE is large enough for a sand filter to catch.

5. Back To Top    #5

I read the thread title and could think of nothing but... Sorry.

14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build