From_Arizona (Julie)

From_Arizona

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Glendale, AZ

Can you tell I am in Arizona? I live in the SW Valley of Phoenix, Litchfield Park. After frustrations with our local pool builders, I have decided to jump in with both feet and build my own pool. I have been lurking around here and multiple other sites during my planning stage and have found wonderful information from many of you.

Now my permits are almost ready from the county and it is time for me to get into high-gear. I look forward to learning more as I go along and hope I can keep my head above water during the build phase!

Our Pool:
18,000 gal
109 perimeter
Pebble Tec interior
Stack Stone rear wall with 5 spillways into pool
Filter - thinking Hayward DE 45
Pump - thinking Jandy or Pentair
Automation - thinking Jandy
SWG - Jandy or Pool Pilot
InFloor Cleaner - Caretaker or Paramount?
Decking - Pavers or ?

Yay! Another Arizonan! Welcome aboard! I'm up the road and east of you in far north/central Phoenix. My DD and DGK's live in Surprise. They are planning to put in a pool and are thinking of GC'ing their build.

I think it could be so interesting and rewarding if not also hairpulling and greying to be your own GC. I admire anyone who takes it on.

I hope you've seen the website of another Arizonan who lays his entire process out from his thought process to planning, getting bids, construction, etc. If not, there is a link on the home page here.

Buggsw said:
...I hope you've seen the website of another Arizonan who lays his entire process out from his thought process to planning, getting bids, construction, etc. If not, there is a link on the home page here.

Yes, I have been refering to Ben Choi's site for some time now. The valuable info on his site helped me take the jump to GC my own pool. I am using his sub list, adding to it, and now narrowing it back down after the Contractor License Check. I know that prices have gone up since he built, but seems that the pool industry is hurting a bit due to the slow-down of real estate in the area.

I am looking forward to the project and hoping I will not turn gray in the process!