Zodiac MX8 Elite

Ron55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 23, 2013
SW Florida
I have a 4 plus year old Zodiac. In my last home it worked just fine at about 2800 rpm attached to one of the pool skimmers.

We moved and the new house has a working dedicated suction line for the cleaner. The first time I tried the cleaner it moved slowly at 2450 rpm.
I checked to make sure there were no obstructions or debris put it back in and it worked, more slowly then the other house but it covered the entire pool surface. It was never able to really climb walls at either pool.

I purchased new scrubber brushes and new treads and replaced them as well as cleaned the old rubber gunk from the old treads.
I tried it at 2500 rpm and it wouldn't move it all. I tried it all the way up to 3250 and still nothing. I took the new treads off and put back the old worn treads. The brushes are moving when I lift it out of the water but when I place it back in the pool there is no movement at all.

Where should I start? Engine assembly replacement? Bearings?

Thanks for your help.

The cleaner can get fouled inside. Press down on the yellow button to lift the lid. Pull out whatever you see and also rotate the paddles to see if anything is wound up in them.

Next is improving flow from the suction inlet. There may be a valves at the pad to control how much water is coming from the skimmer and main drain if you have a main drain. You may need to reduce flow from those to get enough flow from the cleaner.

The problem with a dedicated suction inlet is that there's no skimmer protecting the pipe between the pool and the equipment pad. Debris can move directly from the cleaner to the pipe, which could reduce or even stop the flow. This can be avoided by using an inline leaf basket between two cleaner hoses. If the pipe is blocked, there are some other things that can be done, but hopefully it's just the cleaner itself or valve settings.

The cleaner can get fouled inside. Press down on the yellow button to lift the lid. Pull out whatever you see and also rotate the paddles to see if anything is wound up in them.

Next is improving flow from the suction inlet. There may be a valves at the pad to control how much water is coming from the skimmer and main drain if you have a main drain. You may need to reduce flow from those to get enough flow from the cleaner.

The problem with a dedicated suction inlet is that there's no skimmer protecting the pipe between the pool and the equipment pad. Debris can move directly from the cleaner to the pipe, which could reduce or even stop the flow. This can be avoided by using an inline leaf basket between two cleaner hoses. If the pipe is blocked, there are some other things that can be done, but hopefully it's just the cleaner itself or valve settings.
Thanks for the reply.

I have already checked the interior, there are no obstructions or restrictions. I will try and reduce flow not going to the cleaner but it has quite a bit of suction at the inlet. I think the problem is the cleaner not the line.

There's a rebuild kit which includes the drives on each side, the paddle assembly, shafts for each side with their bearings, and the tracks. After that's put in, it's pretty much a new cleaner.

There's a rebuild kit which includes the drives on each side, the paddle assembly, shafts for each side with their bearings, and the tracks. After that's put in, it's pretty much a new cleaner.
Thanks. Ive already replaced the brushes and tracks. And I have a set of bearing from the kit I bought. Looks like I need to get the drive shafts and engine assembly.

Just a follow-up. One of the pool's MX6 was having some problems, I did the rebuild which seemed to work initially, and then it acted up again. I stripped it down again and all seemed to be working fine, but when I replaced the cover (the one that's attached with six or eight screws, MX-6 / MX-8 respectively) the paddles and motors didn't spin as freely. It took me a while to find it, but there was a tiny piece of wood caught under the cover, hard against the plastic of the cover, between the guides that cause the paddles to turn 90 degrees. That little piece of wood (around 1/16" thick and 3/8" long) was just enough to impair the free-passing of the paddles. Once removed, all is well. Hopefully you've made other progress and this is meaningless, but just in case, thought I should share.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.