Apr 17, 2008
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
I am interested to hear if anyone is running a ClearBlue Ionizer System ..... my Zodiac (~12 years old) is on its last legs (leaks) and given that i'm on my 3ird pump and 3ird pool heater in those 12 years I'm making a move to the ClearBlue. I have loved the SWG Zodiac but since my Pump and furnace are new i would like something a bit less hard on them than the salt water (3700-4000ppm typically).

Since the Zodiac also had a mineral cartridge like the ClearBlue, and keeping the Chlorine low (0.6ppm-1.0ppm) .... this is my main goal, I am curious about users experiences. I have my own Taylor kit (2006??) and an electronic salinity meter so balancing the SWG has been surprisingly easy. Hoping the ClearBlue will be as well. Comments?

Edit: (0.6ppm-1.0ppm)<---- this number came out documentation on the unit not thru experience.... as readers have pointed out this level is low .... i have have run my Zodiac typically generating 1.5-2.0ppm.

Last edited:
None of what you have done nor plan to do is recommended by TFPC. If it works for you, great. But we will not endorse it.

Reactions: Donldson
None of what you have done nor plan to do is recommended by TFPC. If it works for you, great. But we will not endorse it.
I understand .... i expect chlorine levels will need to be at least in the 1.5-2.0ppm. And yes i am in a situation where i have low use, a cooler climate and a high turnover in the water every year so minerals are somewhat flushed. Locally zodiac seems to have disappeared from the market and Hayward seems the leader for SWG .... i may end up there.

That low of FC is hard to maintain as your CYA would need to be at or less than 20 ppm for the chlorine to be effective. pH also comes into play when that low CYA is present as a higher pH will make the chlorine even less effective.

Why have you had to replace your pump and heater 3 times in the last 12 years? We have hundreds of people in just about every possible climate with salt pools who follow TFP Recommended Levels and I don't recall ever seeing anybody with that kind of equipment failure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.