Zero Chlorine after slam

Im not sure if this bleach is the ticket
Saturday my slammed failed. Added 6 bottles and it stormed...couldn't check $18.00
Tuesday I started early checking every 1/2hr then 1/hr. It took 18 bottles $54.00 Chlorine >5
Wednesday evening chlorine 0...add 6 bottles $18.00
Thursday morning pool store test everything was good chlorine >5 but CYA 10 by evening chlorine 0,added 6 bottles $18.00
Grand total $108.00 and my pool is not clear but I can almost see to the bottom. Im starting to feel bleach is not the answer. Would I have gone through this much powder shock???
Rite now all I have is the test strips from Leslie and I can't just sit until the better tester is delivered.So I have to go off my strips and their readings.
What can I do so that my chlorine is not burned up everyday and is 0 by nightfall?
When can I add CYA to help protect the chlorine.

That is the problem with basing your SLAM levels on bad data. There is no way to know if the levels are too high and wasting bleach or too low and taking longer and using more bleach than needed.

You are looking at this as a group of individual events; Saturday failed, Sunday failed, ect.

A SLAM is a single continuous procedure where the goal is to keep the pool above shock level all the time. You may not see it, but every time you pour bleach in the pool and it goes away you have killed more algae. I also doubt that powered shock would be less expensive or any quicker.

You are getting frustrated and I can understand that. It is a process - you have to stick with it or the algae wins

You just can't trust the strips or the leslie's testing. They are really bad at the cya test.
Your SLAM depends on accurate test results. It would be better to wait for the kit to arrive than to try to do this without the ability to accurately test.

Do you have tracking info for the kit yet? Hopefully it will get to you quick. When it does, run all the tests and post the results and we'll help you get started the right way so you're not wasting your money.

Once you can get started with the right kit you'll know for sure that you're adding just what you need and not running around in circles.

Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part but trying to mix pool store test results with TFP methods just won't work.

Don't worry about the wait. We can help you fix this and the pool is already green so it's not like you're having to worry about getting much worse in the mean time.

BTW, yeah you probably would have gone through just as much powder. The additional problem with that would be the other stuff that the powder adds would also be building up in your pool and depending on which type of powder you used it would probably just add to your problems.

Time for some pre SLAM pop. (pool owner patience)

We can't give the prescription until we see the doctor! (test kit!) The pool store is more like the "quack" type of doctor and test strips are like the Fischer Price doctor kit for kids.

We're gonna help you fix this.

Come on test kit!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.