Bronze Supporter
Jan 2, 2020
central america
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have recently developed some stains on the surface of my pool finish. There are quite a few and brushing rigorously doesn't get rid of them.
I'm worried that a product I added last week called 'Sparkel Conquest' may be the culprit as it's mainly along the edge where I had poured in the product

Stains in Pool.jpegSparkle Conquest.jpeg

Has anyone had experience with this?
I'm thinking I'll need to drain the pool and give it a good acid wash. BTW, the chemistry is good and I'm sure it's not a result of metals in our water here

I have recently developed some stains on the surface of my pool finish. There are quite a few and brushing rigorously doesn't get rid of them.
I'm worried that a product I added last week called 'Sparkel Conquest' may be the culprit as it's mainly along the edge where I had poured in the product

View attachment 565812View attachment 565813

Has anyone had experience with this?
I'm thinking I'll need to drain the pool and give it a good acid wash. BTW, the chemistry is good and I'm sure it's not a result of metals in our water here
Hard to know without seeing the actual chemistry reaults. Theres another report of that product causing cloudy water and that its a sequestrant. Is there a reason you added it?

You don't need to drain water to try a vitamin-c test. Get some vitamin-c tablets and hold them against the stain (with your foot or hand if need be) for 30-60 seconds and see if they lessen or disappear. If they do, it's iron staining (though iron staining is typically more red/brown'ish than yellow). It's a very quick/EASY first step for testing without much effort or cost.

How long have the stains been there?

Also, if the stains are organic in nature, a chlorine tab against the stain should remove it (for example, stains left by leaves and other organic materials). That, and the vitamin-c test, are super easy and cheap and help you determine what the staining is/isn't, before taking more drastic steps like draining a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't need to drain water to try a vitamin-c test. Get some vitamin-c tablets and hold them against the stain (with your foot or hand if need be) for 30-60 seconds and see if they lessen or disappear. If they do, it's iron staining (though iron staining is typically more red/brown'ish than yellow). It's a very quick/EASY first step for testing without much effort or cost.

How long have the stains been there?
Thank you! - I'll test it out today. I did see you can buy ascorbic acid for Pools on Amazon, so if it works I guess I could get some - or just buy a bunch of tablets and hold them against the stains

Also, if the stains are organic in nature, a chlorine tab against the stain should remove it (for example, stains left by leaves and other organic materials). That, and the vitamin-c test, are super easy and cheap and help you determine what the staining is/isn't, before taking more drastic steps like draining a pool.
Thanks for the tip! Along with Vit C test, I'll try that out

Reactions: JamesW
Problem Solved!! I think I must have had Algae Bloom. I tried the trick with my chlorine pucks and it cleared out a stained spot, so I added a bunch more (5 in total in my 7500 gal pool - too much?). And it's starting to remove all the stains as I move them around and do a bit of scrubbing.
It's been very warm and sunny here for last few weeks (pool temp around 90) so I assume that helped along the algae.
I have a SWG and I thought per the control unit that the salt level was ok (see following). I did a complete reading and have the following:
Free Cl .4 ppm
Combined Cl .4 ppm
these should go up over the day as chlorine tablets dissolve. Will check again tomorrow
Salt 2200 ppm - way too low
since I'm leaving soon and will be using chlorine tabs, I probably won't add any until I return
pH 7.4 - OK
Alkalinity 60 ppm - OK
CH 120 ppm - I added calcium

I am leaving Honduras for the summer soon and will be covering the pool, turning off the SWG, reducing pump run time to 2 hours, and having my gardener add a Chlorine puck weekly (which has worked well in the past).

So, thank you all for the suggestions to try putting ascorbic acid or chlorine on the stain to see what happens. I know now I probably won't have to drain the pool after all. And although I didn't do it, when I return and see any yellowish green spots I'll try the Vit C trick too

Reactions: jesse-99