NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I opened my SWG pool today for the first time (live in NJ) after last season and have an elephant cover. When we took the over off water was clear both the PH and Chlorine levels were fine after a few hours. Checking all the other chemical levels tomorrow.

Everything looked good except the skimmer covers and plates. Whatever the pool cover was covering all turned yellow. The vinyl steps are fine and not affected. I am not really sure what happened and the pool company was going to give me replacement covers/plates. Was really trying to figure out what caused this and what to do next year or how to avoid again.

Attachments

• PXL_20240510_185640528.jpg
    PXL_20240510_185640528.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 18
Not that I can recall but I'm thinking just going by his media this was a 2023 build which means this was winter #1 for that cover. Something tells me it's bleed off of sorts from a brand new cover possibly. I wonder if it would be soaked in something like crud kutter it may come white again. Another possibility were there lots of leaves that may have shed their tannins after being rain soaked.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks. Yes it was a 2023 build and first year for the cover. I did not have any leave or anything as all the plates and covers were the same along with the liner lock in the corners.

The PC will be giving me free replacements, just trying to figure out how on earth that happened.

If it were the yellow half that was exposed and white under cover I'd blame sun but his was the reverse so it has something to do with the cover materials bleeding off some chemicals. Get the new covers and use for the summer season then before you cover the pool for the off season put the discolored ones back on.

What color cover did you get ? Standard issue green ? From which brand ?

Weird that the vinyl stair 'coping' / edge is ok.

What color cover did you get ? Standard issue green ? From which brand ?

Weird that the vinyl stair 'coping' / edge is ok.
There's a difference. The stairs are within the cover and the covers edge is passed the vinyl stair coping like by a good bit on the other hand the skimmer cover have the pool cover binding/reinforced edge go right over half the skimmer so maybe something in the binding material or when the pool filled over the winter months something chemically in the water now is in the skimmer too which now is reacting with the cover. It would be anybodys guess at this. point.

My cover is green and made by Garret I believe. I agree with the above l, but the actual plates in the pool also turned yellow. The vinyl steps were perfectly fine.