OCLT seems a odd considering the loss throughout 24 hours window was ~4ppm I w

Monday 5:57am - FC 21.5
4:25pm - FC 19.5 (- 2ppm)
8:39pm - FC 19.0 (- .5ppm)
Tuesday 6:06am - FC 17.5 (- 1.5ppm)

• Sad
Reactions: Mdragger88
No “poofs” at all when brushing?
Remind me again- did you have/treat main drains?
You confirmed spa is slam level too?
Just trying to cover all the bases :scratch:

No “poofs” at all when brushing?
Remind me again- did you have/treat main drains?
You confirmed spa is slam level too?
Just trying to cover all the bases :scratch:

🔹No poof at all when brushing.
🔹I just tested the pool for OCLT but will test spa and pool again later this morning to confirm both at same SLAM level.
🔹I have two main drains one in the Pool side and one on the Spa side. I have the pool running at 50% skimmer 50% main drain. When you say great just to make sure I’m not missing something what do you mean by treating?

OCLT: 1.0
CC: 0.5

Pictured below of what I was originally working against. At the time when I brushed that it acted like dirt but the stain didn’t easily go away. Today the pool is crystal clear but can’t get past OCLT, no visible algae, CC .5 or below just losing chlorine overnight.

Attachments

• IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    844.8 KB · Views: 3
Update to my morning update:

I have to be screwing up on the testing. 🥴🤦🏻‍♂️🙍🏽🤷🏻‍♂️

I tested the Spa and pool got the following
Spa @7:45am
FC 17ppm
CC .5

Pool @7:51am
FC 16
CC .5

At 5:22am when I tested the pool I got a FC of 15.5 🤦🏻‍♂️😞😭

Last edited:
The AM test has gotten MANY before you. We can't nail it down as to why but I'm 100% certain it involves both too much coffee, and also not enough. I hope that helps. 😁
Today Im going to go buy a 10ml syringe 💉 just to be sure my hand hasn’t been heavy or light as I add and remove water to get it on the line in the tester.

My FC liquid is on the older side (not expired) but don’t think that’s an issue but really considering buying a new bottle just to be sure.

The powder and CC liquid are new bottles I picked up last week so it shouldn’t be them.

And then again I could still have something lingering. Pics below for reference of current state.

Attachments

• IMG_7202.png
    IMG_7202.png
    832.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7198.jpeg
    IMG_7198.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7197.jpeg
    IMG_7197.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Newdude
A couple of times last season, cleaning the vial well made the difference. Cleaning alcohol does a bang up job if you have some laying around.

Why it only bothers the AM test when that's the case is a big fat question mark. Are folks in a rush or fustrated before bed ? We dunno. But at least a couple passed once they cleaned the vials well. Possibly because the failed OCLT was algae's last hurrah and it would have passed on night 2 either way.

A couple of times last season, cleaning the vial well made the difference. Cleaning alcohol does a bang up job if you have some laying around.

Why it only bothers the AM test when that's the case is a big fat question mark. Are folks in a rush or fustrated before bed ? We dunno. But at least a couple passed once they cleaned the vials well. Possibly because the failed OCLT was algae's last hurrah and it would have passed on night 2 either way.
I tried rubbing alcohol. Maybe the vial needs a little vodka 😜

I need alcohol too 🥸

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
🔹I have two main drains one in the Pool side and one on the Spa side. I have the pool running at 50% skimmer 50% main drain. When you say great just to make sure I’m not missing something what do you mean by treating?
Blast down in there with the water hose to dislodge any funky stuff if you’re not into removing the covers.
Some also choose to pour some liquid chlorine directly into the drain via a long piece of pvc just for good measure. Be sure to brush the area & have the drain going.
It’s literally the last stone unturned.
Here’s a very crude drawing of how some drains are constructed - the pvc pipe sticks up higher in some than others allowing for more accumulation - some are just a bowl mostly.
IMG_9368.jpeg

Blast down in there with the water hose to dislodge any funky stuff if you’re not into removing the covers.
Some also choose to pour some liquid chlorine directly into the drain via a long piece of pvc just for good measure. Be sure to brush the area & have the drain going.
It’s literally the last stone unturned.
Here’s a very crude drawing of how some drains are constructed - the pvc pipe sticks up higher in some than others allowing for more accumulation - some are just a bowl mostly.
View attachment 559520

Is there a tool or hose holder that I can use to not have to go into the pool 👀… it’s too cold for me to go in the pool side. Happy to do it on the Spa side 😄 but the pool side is cold 🥶.

Also not opposed to pouring the chlorine directly into the drain.

Is there a tool or hose holder that I can use to not have to go into the pool 👀… it’s too cold for me to go in the pool side. Happy to do it on the Spa side 😄 but the pool side is cold 🥶.

Also not opposed to pouring the chlorine directly into the drain.
Lock the hose nozzle to the on position- wrap it in a towel so you don’t scrape anything with it & Use the pool brush/ pole to get it over there. I do this to the holes in my steps. They are only 4 ft down though.
Maybe zip tie it to the pole for better accuracy?

Lock the hose nozzle to the on position- wrap it in a towel so you don’t scrape anything with it & Use the pool brush/ pole to get it over there. I do this to the holes in my steps. They are only 4 ft down though.
Maybe zip tie it to the pole for better accuracy?
Zip tie to the pole is a great idea. I’ll give that a shot tomorrow if it doesn’t pass OCLT tonight.

Reactions: Mdragger88
What’s up with the servers this morning… LOL

Todays update… Is me banging my head on the wall and really think i am at fault for the variance in testing.

I went and got a 10ml syringe from the store because i thought.. Accuracy well the problem is that the 10ml is more like ~11ish 12ish ml so scrap that idea.

Test results from last night.. I went heavy on the Chlorine figure it cant hurt anything .. well except my pockets.

Last night at 10:15
FC: 24.5
CC: .5

This morning @5:50 (Dark)
This was my first test because i had doubts i did a second test. I also didnt realize that the FC was the same as last night until i typed this up and was entering this into pool Math. My other observation was the CC was the lightest i have seen in a while to where it was more clear than pink and had i been using 25ml sample i suspec it would be closer to .2 for CC.

FC: 24.5

Second test within 1-2 minutes — This cant be right let me test again
FC: 22.5

Third test within 1-2 minutes — After this i felt defeated hopped on a work call

FC: 24

Retested at 6:40 AM (6:29am Sunrise according to google)
FC 24

With that said todays test was a mess. I want to take the first test because it gives me what i want but given that i consistently got FC:24 i am using that number for my FC Loss for today.

OCLT: 0.5
CC: 0.5

I am leaving town but will task the Family to top off 1 Gallon everyday while i am out. That should keep things above SLAM levels until i return Sunday.

Reactions: Newdude
Reactions: TeamFreddy
Yeah I’d call it good 👍🏻you’ve thoroughly oclt’d lol 😂
Keeping fc up while you’re gone isn’t a bad idea - no need to go above slam level though.
Also, if you’re into gadgets - many people here like these

Because im a Big Dummy and I see Good… What’chu mean by Good 👀 😂

That Sample Sizer is cool. I seen it yesterday as i was looking through TFP searches reading if there was such a thing as using to much DPD powder. I have been using two scoops and it looks like from what others on TFP mentioned 1 scoop should be sufficient for 10ml sample when not doing SLAM. During SLAM two scoops was recommended in the post i saw and someone suggested this device.

Because im a Big Dummy and I see Good… What’chu mean by Good 👀 😂

That Sample Sizer is cool. I seen it yesterday as i was looking through TFP searches reading if there was such a thing as using to much DPD powder. I have been using two scoops and it looks like from what others on TFP mentioned 1 scoop should be sufficient for 10ml sample when not doing SLAM. During SLAM two scoops was recommended in the post i saw and someone suggested this device.
Yes - with higher fc levels 2 level scoops is recommended.
I generally go with the 1 heaping scoop method 🤣
Too much won’t hurt anything- just uses it up faster.
Too little can be a problem.

OCLT Update:

PM test @ 10:14 PM
AM test @ 5:44 AM

FC: - 0.5
CC: - 0.5

Leaving town this morning so I added 1 gallon of chlorine this morning. Left another gallon for the family to top off tomorrow morning and depending on when I return Sunday I may have them add another gallon Sunday morning.

When I return I want to try the following:
🔹Hit the main drain with the hose
🔹Clean filters again
🔹Empty out skimmer basket and baskets by the pool pump.
🔹 Ordering the exact doser from Taylor today.

I have 2 pool lights which I may be able to get to without hopping in the pool and one in the spa will be a little tricky as it sits the lowest at this point I don’t think it’s a bad idea to pop out and check.

NGL for a guy with what looks like a crystal clear pool at this point I feel pretty defeated that it’s not passing OCLT and will be even worse if it’s because my hand has been heavy or light on the 10ml.

Attachments

• IMG_7221.jpeg
    IMG_7221.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support