Yellow Algae?

benbec101

May 1, 2023
Amarillo
We have bright yellow streaks appearing in our pool (we have a pool liner), as well as some brown mud looking deposits that disappear when you try touch it (see photos). Does this look like Mustard Algae?

We've bought Yellow Out and done the shock method, because our CYA is really high and we can't drain the pool right now to try and change that. It didn't change a lot.

So if this does seem to be Mustard Algae, we may try and follow some other posts on this forum, shocking at the extremely high FC levels, but am open to advice.

Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_8643.jpeg
    IMG_8643.jpeg
    741.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8642.jpeg
    IMG_8642.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 12
Ben, you're in a pickle. Being new here, I'm not sure if you already know this, so I'll re-cap a few things:
- Yellow out can introduce ammonia product to the water in an effort to kill chlorine. Even if it does work (doubtful), you can end-up with ammonia in the water which will deplete your free chlorine (maybe CYA too) and make it very difficult to transition back to a proper FC level. You may go through a lot more chlorine.
- It may be Mustard Algae, so I'll provide the link below. But the treatment is still the same. You must follow the SLAM Process first by passing all 3 SLAM criteria. Only after passing the SLAM criteria first do you proceed forward to the Mustard Algae treatment, and only for 24 hrs.
- We can't emphasize proper testing enough. Your signature doesn't show which test kit you are using, but hopefully it's a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. If not, you'll want to have one of those before attempting any SLAM or Mustard Algae treatment.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.