Rolesville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
hello. I have a Hayward T-9 SWG that seems to still be working fine. However, I am entering year 6 of use. I know there are lots of factors that determine cell life but if it’s working ok, any need to replace just based on age? What should I look for if it starts to show signs of malfunction? What the longest these things can last ?

any need to replace just based on age?
Nope. Hours in use can vary pretty wildly and some cells seem to last forever. Keep it in the back of your mind that the time is approaching and run it until it dies.

What should I look for if it starts to show signs of malfunction?
If it dies from depletion/use it's usually pretty quick and you won't get much warning it's not producing. But either way, you are looking for your testing to tell you that the cell isn't producing. My Pentair cell has a 'check cell' light that usually comes on at end of life (yours probably has something simlair), but I'd see the testing be off first, to let me know I needed to go inspect further at the pad.

Nope. Hours in use can vary pretty wildly and some cells seem to last forever. Keep it in the back of your mind that the time is approaching and run it until it dies.

If it dies from depletion/use it's usually pretty quick and you won't get much warning it's not producing. But either way, you are looking for your testing to tell you that the cell isn't producing. My Pentair cell has a 'check cell' light that usually comes on at end of life (yours probably has something simlair), but I'd see the testing be off first, to let me know I needed to go inspect further at the pad.
Thanks for the recommendations. One further question. The T-9 cell is rated for 25,000 gallons. This is about 1.8 X the size of my pool (13,000 gallons) which I understand is close to the minimum recommendation for cell size. Would you recommend when I have to replace staying with this or moving up to the T-15 which I think is rated up to 40,000 gallons ?

Would you recommend when I have to replace staying with this or moving up to the T-15 which I think is rated up to 40,000 gallons ?
Always. The maths on upgrading work heavily in your favor and it's like buying your next cell (or the next half cell if going 40k to 60k) at a steep discount.

If it's that far down the road (6 years) you pretty much got your money's worth with that model. A bigger cell would allow you to run less and save electricity as well. Look for a good sale and have a backup when you need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.