Yard lights go on, but won't turn off (timer problem)

prop

May 29, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having with lights on a timer on a Hayward Goldline ProLogic automation system. Background: I am in Canada, so, right now, the temperature gets down to 28-32 degrees F overnight, and then up to 57-60 F during the day. We opened our pool yesterday. I have a series of yard lights which are powered from the ProLogic, so I can control them easily.

During the winter, while the pool pump was turned off, I turned on the ProLogic and could manually work the yard lights from the control panel in the pool shed, but ONLY when the temperature was well above freezing. Otherwise, the system would say "freeze warning - button inactive" and would refuse to turn on or off the lights. This would occur whether I tried to turn on the yard lights via the remote control or via the control panel in the shed.

My goal was to have the lights on at around 7:30 PM and then off at 10:00 PM, so I tried setting the timers, which I had experience doing last summer, with no problem.

The lights would turn ON, but would not turn off. I suspect this is because, between 7:30 and 10:00, the temperature dipped down below the cut-off point where the system would not obey the command to turn off the lights.

Problem is, my neighbour has exactly the same system and her pool light timer worked all winter long with no problems!

Does anyone know how to force the system to obey the timers? I tried disabling "freeze protection" on the filter setup (configuration menu), but this did not help. Is there another "freeze protect" option somewhere which also locks out the light timers? There seems to be no logical reason why the lights shouldn't be able to be turned on and off, irrespective of the outside temperature.

Thanks for any help!

I have been experimenting and observing over the past couple of days. The timers work correctly when the temperature is higher (to turn the lights on initially), and the lights fail to go out when the temperature goes down, presumably below the cut-off point for whatever the system considers to be "freezing".

Has anyone got an idea as to how I can re-program the system to only affect the pump when worrying about the temperature? After all, I believe this is the only relevant issue: preventing ice build-up in the pipes due to a lack of water flow (because the pump is off).

Many thanks for any help!

Thanks for all of the help. I re-read the manual and found out that the pool lights and the yard lights (in the Config menu) both have their own Freeze protect "feature", although I'm unsure why anyone would want their lights on a freeze protected circuit. In any case, once I disabled freeze protect for both of them I can control them even when the temperature is low, and I they don't both automatically come on when the temp dips below 38 F.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.