Xtreme power 3/4 hp pump can i run 2 skimmers - 2 returns?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
So we bought a 18-ft x 42 Bestway pool from Sam's which we are loving. automatically of course I scrapped the crappy pump that came with it and ponied up another $160 for a better sand filter / pump combo going with the 2400 gph xtremepower 3/4 hp with 26 inch sandfilter. I also blocked off the useless below water suction vents and installed a Hayward skimmer and return, not only to get surface skimming power but also have a way to hook up a vacuum.

The pump seems to be doing a decent job of cleaning the pool running at 4 hours a day but there just seems to be a lot of trash still on the surface and mainly on the opposite side of the pool so I was considering buying another Hayward skimmer which automatically comes with another return and adding a second return and skimmer to the other side of the pool to provide more cleaning abilities. my question is do you think that 3/4 hp pump would be enough to power 2 skimmers and 2 returns? Pump is hard plumbed 1.5 inch pvc. I have considered maybe after this season's over buying a much better sand filter / pump combo maybe a 1 or 1.5hp dohenys or hayward setup. I'm sure that would probably more than do the job although my electric bill would probably show a noticeable difference with that setup...lol

Thanks!

So we bought a 18-ft x 42 Bestway pool from Sam's which we are loving. automatically of course I scrapped the crappy pump that came with it and ponied up another $160 for a better sand filter / pump combo going with the 2400 gph xtremepower 3/4 hp with 26 inch sandfilter. I also blocked off the useless below water suction vents and installed a Hayward skimmer and return, not only to get surface skimming power but also have a way to hook up a vacuum.

The pump seems to be doing a decent job of cleaning the pool running at 4 hours a day but there just seems to be a lot of trash still on the surface and mainly on the opposite side of the pool so I was considering buying another Hayward skimmer which automatically comes with another return and adding a second return and skimmer to the other side of the pool to provide more cleaning abilities. my question is do you think that 3/4 hp pump would be enough to power 2 skimmers and 2 returns? Pump is hard plumbed 1.5 inch pvc. I have considered maybe after this season's over buying a much better sand filter / pump combo maybe a 1 or 1.5hp dohenys or hayward setup. I'm sure that would probably more than do the job although my electric bill would probably show a noticeable difference with that setup...lol

Thanks!
Splitting the suction line would reduce the flow at each skimmer. How is the return line aimed? If possible, allow it to cause the water to flow in a current that will pass by the skimmer throat. It sounds like the system now pushes water away from the skimmer or possibly wind does it.

Reactions: gtnos
Splitting the suction line would reduce the flow at each skimmer. How is the return line aimed? If possible, allow it to cause the water to flow in a current that will pass by the skimmer throat. It sounds like the system now pushes water away from the skimmer or possibly wind does it.
Yeah. It is aimed away the skimmer is upstream of it. In the past I've had more powerful pumps that would whirlpool a pool like this so I didn't think a lot about it when I put the skimmer in where it's at plus I put it basically where the OEM skimmers were.

Maybe instead of a second skimmer I should just add a second return on the other side....what do you think that would do to it?

Attachments

• 20230627_134216.jpg
    20230627_134216.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 2
Yeah. It is aimed away the skimmer is upstream of it. In the past I've had more powerful pumps that would whirlpool a pool like this so I didn't think a lot about it when I put the skimmer in where it's at plus I put it basically where the OEM skimmers were.

Maybe instead of a second skimmer I should just add a second return on the other side....what do you think that would do to it?
Whatever it takes to get the debris in front of the skimmer. If the existing return has an adjustable "eyeball," direct it in a way to get the water flowing that way. If it helps a second may do it better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.