Wrinkles in new liner

TonyM

May 11, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Hi Guys - need some expert opinions.

I've read through the search results on the forum so have somewhat of an idea of things to try (wife is picking up a plunger today) -but I just wanted to get some thoughts before I deal with it.

Background: Old pool liner was faded pretty bad so we decided to start this year with a fresh liner. Covid means vacations will be spent at the pool this year, so we are prepping it for some expected hard use. The pool was installed by the previous owner many years ago, but the pool guy said it was in good shape. He got the old liner out, installed the new liner, vacuumed out the wrinkles and started the fill. Skip ahead to today (filling on second full day) and he came back to "wrap things up". He installed the new skimmer and returns and put everything back together. Wife was out with him as they finished and he told her that he was trying to get a couple of wrinkles out of the wall, but they would not come out as the pool was a little "out of round", as the pool is half-buried. He said they may come out once the pool is full but that he could not get them 100% out. Floor is fine. He knocked off a hundred bucks for the wrinkle.

Question is: will a wrinkle hurt anything, other than looks? I can put my steps in front of it and live with it if that is the case, and i know all the kids that will be in it couldn't care less lol. I can try to get in once it gets good and hot to try to work it out, but thought id ask here while the pool is only at 60% full (if the advice is to stop filling and drop the water down).

You'll want to brush it still. How bad is the wrinkle? Got any pics?

Depending on how bad the wrinkle, it may work itself out when the water warms up. When our pool was installed the liner had a number of minor wrinkles. The builder assured us they would work themselves out when the water warmed up (this was in March 2004). I was skeptical, but they did go away as it warmed and didn’t return. ?

I'm pretty regular on the brushing. I try to hit walls and floor at least 1x a week, and/or anytime i have to add MA (just to stir it up good).

I can run out and get a pic in a bit, but I would say its about as small as it could be - just large enough that i cant push it in with my finger but not so much material where it folds over on the wall, if that makes sense. Its actually a few of them in one 3' area of the wall. I worked a couple of the small ones out, and in think a few more are going to go away on their own as it fills the rest of the way. I actually got in to see if I could get them out easier... that lasted about 30 seconds. My tap water must come from a glacier in Alaska.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.