Wow, I wish I had seen this forum years ago!

You are SO funny! I love all of the "dead" floats and such under the deck! Who cares what that looks like so long as the water is CLEAR and WARM! Very neat $$ talk and ideas about warming the water up! Well thought out!

The Taylor kit we like is the K2006. Get the K2006C if you can find it. Do NOT get the K2005 as it does not have the FC test we like. There is also the TF-100 kit that offers the best bang for the buck.

Mod note: I move this thread here as it had already "taken off". I did not want to lose any of it by him starting a new thread.

Kim

Re: Wow, I wish I had seen this forum 3 years ago

That's what it's all about. Sharing the knowledge of all the users here that has been accumulated and tested and verified thousands of times. You're doing what we all should do, gathering the information, figuring out how to put it all together with what you may already know and use it to manage your pool in the best way for you, with an eye on the most economical method.

The tools for a trouble free pool are all here. The most important part is taking ownership of your pool management and being happy with the results.

welbo- The only thing I would caution you about with pool $tore testing is that they are notoriously inaccurate. You can take your sample to three different $tores and get three, very, different responses. Once you have your TF kit. It is really not recommended to compare your results to theirs. Most often they won't match, and then you'll wonder what to do. The beauty of TFP methods, is that you do your own testing and only put in your pool what it needs. More often then not, all you'll need is some bleach from the grocery/big box store. Once in a while you may need to adjust pH or something else. When that time comes, usually, your cheapest place to get what you need is a grocery/big box store, not a pool $store.

I will likely continue to go to the pool store. They have great pool toys! I may even continue to have them test my water as a comparison to my own tests. My kits have no expiration date and still react the way I expect them to. They work great because I do not have any other option right now. It is much better than being totally blind on my chem levels.

That is actually not correct. It is worse than flying blind because you are taking what is very possibly bad information and incorrect numbers and using them to make adjustments to your pool. We have seen many folks make a bad situation worse by adding chemicals that are not needed based on inaccurate test results. It is often better to do nothing than to make an adjustment from a bad number to a worse number.

That is actually not correct. It is worse than flying blind because you are taking what is very possibly bad information and incorrect numbers and using them to make adjustments to your pool. We have seen many folks make a bad situation worse by adding chemicals that are not needed based on inaccurate test results. It is often better to do nothing than to make an adjustment from a bad number to a worse number.

My results suggest otherwise. Maybe I have just been lucky for the last two years. Or maybe I have a 6th sense that can detect free chlorine levels and can instinctively react properly. Or, maybe, while not as accurate as a new FAS-DPD test, I am still getting the feedback I need to keep the pool from turning green until I get my K2006C kit in. Who knows?

My results suggest otherwise. Maybe I have just been lucky for the last two years. Or maybe I have a 6th sense that can detect free chlorine levels and can instinctively react properly. Or, maybe, while not as accurate as a new FAS-DPD test, I am still getting the feedback I need to keep the pool from turning green until I get my K2006C kit in. Who knows?
I think your comment a few up hits the nail on the head - most here are very passionate about helping folks keep their pool clear and avoid unnecessary expenses. Luck may have something to do with it or you may have one of the few excellent pool stores.

Please don't take the passion folks here have as a condescending attitude toward you. We just passed the 100,000 member mark and most of them showed up having been what we called "pool stored" - spending huge amounts of money with little to show for it.

I will be interested in how your numbers stack up against your pool store once your TF-100 comes in. I know for me, the chlorine and pH were usually close, the TA & CH are generally all over the place and the CYA wasn't even in the same zip code. I actually went to two different stores (I still do for amusement) and was amazed at how different their results and recommendations were.

But, once we get past the testing there is a different set of guidelines that most pool stores quote and what TFP has found to work in thousands of pools. One example of this is TA. Most pool stores recommend keeping it at 80 - 120. We have found that even 80 can be way too high in many pools to keep the pH stable. In my case if my TA goes above 70 I'm adding acid every day to bring the pH into line. If I keep the TA in the 40-50 range pH rise is kept in check and I only add acid once, or maybe twice a week.

This is the difference in philosophy - most pol stores are reading from a script. A script written by their chemical suppliers. It goes like this:

TA 60, sell alk up. pH starts rising quickly, sell more acid. Acid pushed TA down, sell more alk up. Even if you go with their system, they never tell you that the fancy alk up they are selling you is nothing more than baking soda you can get at WalMart for 1/3 the cost.

There is a script for every chemical parameter and each one ends with a sale of something.

It is just because of these reasons we recommend new members read the ABC's as well as several other articles. it is these articles that teach that for every package the pool store sells, there is usually a "generic" product that does the same thing for less money.

So, passionate - yes we are.

I think your comment a few up hits the nail on the head - most here are very passionate about helping folks keep their pool clear and avoid unnecessary expenses. Luck may have something to do with it or you may have one of the few excellent pool stores.

Please don't take the passion folks here have as a condescending attitude toward you. We just passed the 100,000 member mark and most of them showed up having been what we called "pool stored" - spending huge amounts of money with little to show for it.

I will be interested in how your numbers stack up against your pool store once your TF-100 comes in. I know for me, the chlorine and pH were usually close, the TA & CH are generally all over the place and the CYA wasn't even in the same zip code. I actually went to two different stores (I still do for amusement) and was amazed at how different their results and recommendations were.

But, once we get past the testing there is a different set of guidelines that most pool stores quote and what TFP has found to work in thousands of pools. One example of this is TA. Most pool stores recommend keeping it at 80 - 120. We have found that even 80 can be way too high in many pools to keep the pH stable. In my case if my TA goes above 70 I'm adding acid every day to bring the pH into line. If I keep the TA in the 40-50 range pH rise is kept in check and I only add acid once, or maybe twice a week.

This is the difference in philosophy - most pol stores are reading from a script. A script written by their chemical suppliers. It goes like this:

TA 60, sell alk up. pH starts rising quickly, sell more acid. Acid pushed TA down, sell more alk up. Even if you go with their system, they never tell you that the fancy alk up they are selling you is nothing more than baking soda you can get at WalMart for 1/3 the cost.

There is a script for every chemical parameter and each one ends with a sale of something.

It is just because of these reasons we recommend new members read the ABC's as well as several other articles. it is these articles that teach that for every package the pool store sells, there is usually a "generic" product that does the same thing for less money.

So, passionate - yes we are.

Yes, I can see the negativity towards pool stores and how it is usually warranted. I did get lucky in that my independent pool store seems more focused on its customers enjoying their pools than keeping their chem suppliers happy. (They probably sell more chem and have more customers as a result)

Here is an analogy to how my introduction went: consider this is a fertility forum and I just joined after having my third kid and learning the hard way how to make it happen. While talking about my journey, some of the members tell me I did it all wrong and that it won't work that way. Anyone with an ounce of empathy can see the reaction that would cause.

Yeah, that is a pretty unrealistic analogy. It was really more for entertainment than to make a point. If there were a point to all of this, it would be, don't apply blanket statements about efficacy to the general public. You (collectively) do not know what experience level the users are.

At the same time, I am very happy to use the past experiences of you folks to make decisions. The pool test kit comparison is great. I don't need anything else to make a decision on which kit to buy. The TFP method is intuitive and easy. I have already bought 9 gallons of 10% and started working on a schedule. The "how to" on reducing alkalinity is spot on with my experience. Just a wealth of great info. It's going to be a great summer.

Who wants to come to College Station for an evening on the deck? I might have to visit the outdoor oasis sub forum and put in pics of the outdoor kitchen with some steaks and veggies on to entice some of you over.

Who wants to come to College Station for an evening on the deck? I might have to visit the outdoor oasis sub forum and put in pics of the outdoor kitchen with some steaks and veggies on to entice some of you over.
Well, it will be another year for me. We always go to the SC/A&M game, so it's back and forth between Columbia & College Station. This year is Columbia, next year will be C.S.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.