Wow, did my problems just increase in magnitude. Need advice on new filter

May 17, 2015
Herndon/va
so after fixing my pressure or so I thought, I started slamming pool again when pressure went up so I backwashed at night, then rinsed. Upon switching back to filter, I hear this loud spraying and low and behold my tank has apparently cracked at the base and it started blowing sand and water everywhere. Looks like I will be on the phone with inyo pools tomorrow to order a new filter.

So I have sand now, do I stay with sand or switch to DE or cartridge? Thanks.

Bummer. Glad no one was hurt.

Sand is the easiest to operate. But with the backwashing you use more water. I have a really oversized cartridge filter so only clean it once per year. But will eventually have to buy new cartridges. DE is similar to sand but filters finer. There are hybrid DE/cartridge filters out there that you do not backwash but break down and clean.

Your choice -----------

so after fixing my pressure or so I thought, I started slamming pool again when pressure went up so I backwashed at night, then rinsed. Upon switching back to filter, I hear this loud spraying and low and behold my tank has apparently cracked at the base and it started blowing sand and water everywhere. Looks like I will be on the phone with inyo pools tomorrow to order a new filter.

So I have sand now, do I stay with sand or switch to DE or cartridge? Thanks.

If you were happy with the sand filter (I love ours), and if you can replace just the sand barrel, that might be easier then plumbing in a entire new filter? (and possibly less $)

Otherwise, it's definitely personal preference!

Ended up going with Pentair Clean & Clear 100 sq. foot cartridge filer per the recommendations of inyopools with my current pump and setup. Now the question, is there anything I can do while I wait for it to arrive to make the pool ready quicker? I bumped FC to SLAM levels last night before this mishap. Should I run the robot vacuum as much as possible and sweep to get some water movement?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.