Wow!! An $11,000 Intex (type) Pool build...what were we thinking?!

If you want to post individual pics, you can now your using Photobucket, all you have to do is select the photo want, and click on the photo, it will open it to full size and on the right there are four codes to chose from.... Clicking on the IMG one, will copy the code and you just paste it in your posts here at TFP... :) The image will be seen by everyone.. :)

It does not have to be Photobucket ... here is about 30 options: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo-sharing_websites

The point is TFP does not have the resources to store the 10,000s of images. That requires storage space and computer support, etc. All of that requires $$$. If you have not noticed, there are ZERO adds on this forum, how many other forums are like that? There is $0 required to be a member and ask all the questions you want. If a MUCH larger % of our members actually donated to become supporters, well, then maybe there would be $ available to upgrade the hardware and host people's photos.

See that big button at the upper left of the page that says Become a TFP Supporter!! Click it. There you can see one way of upping your storage space from 256kB to 10MB.

If you do not want to do that, well, host them somewhere else that does not require the viewer to sign up. If you do it right, there is no need for the reader to click on anything to see your photos. Personally, I rarely click on a link to an album.

Thank you for the additional info jblizzle. I have gone ahead with a photobucket account and have uploaded the pics I was hoping to share and have posted the link to my album. I am, as are of us here I am sure, very grateful to have such a forum where we can seek and gather information, as well as offer advice and support to others who share our "passion" and vision.

If you want to post individual pics, you can now your using Photobucket, all you have to do is select the photo want, and click on the photo, it will open it to full size and on the right there are four codes to chose from.... Clicking on the IMG one, will copy the code and you just paste it in your posts here at TFP... :) The image will be seen by everyone.. :)

Thank you laceygirl. I was hoping to "chronicle" our experience over the course of the past three weeks, and as there are 70 pics so far my goal was to have a link where anyone who may be interested in seeing our entire build thus far (a step by step so to speak) could go vs posting individual pics. Now that I have uploaded the bulk of my pics and posted a link to them, I will try to upload additional pics (individually) as we continue to make progress. With any luck our build will be complete by the weekend so we can finally enjoy the fruits of our labor :)

That's one heck of a project! I can't wait to see the finished product. :) How on earth do you keep a palm tree alive in Canada?

LOL We buy silk ones ;) That Palm tree was part of the Hubby's Birthday present, along with the thatch umbrella. He sacrificed our winter trip to Jamaica this year as we are taking our 5 yr old Grand-daughter to Florida for a couple weeks this summer, so thought I would bring a little reminder of our favorite place in the world home to him and create our own little oasis in the back yard:)

Well it appears as tho we are going to lose another week...we are now going to be at least two weeks behind schedule by the time it's completed. The pool guy can't make it out til next week to finish hard plumbing the pump, filter, and heater, meaning the last of the deck boards will have to wait until the pool can be completely filled after the plumbing is done :( Hubby and I figured we might just as well get started on the deck rail while we wait. We have gone just about as far as we can go until the rest of the deck boards are put down. Just a couple more 'half' sections to install, then I guess we will start on the pool fencing around the perimeter of the pool.

P6040090.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P6040094.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P6040098.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P6050104.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very nice! What are those feet called that the post are sitting in? Wondering if I could get those here in the States?

Now that I can see the pictures...interesting build. I do have a couple questions to satisfy my curiosity.

how does the local zoning/building dept in your area feel about a project like this? Around here an inground pool would need all kinds of inspections but, since that is considered a temp pool do they require one?

Do you plan to back fill the retaining wall? If so, I see a possible major problem in the making. When a wall such as that is built and back filled the dirt should be pressing the boards against the posts, not pushing them away from the posts. As it is now, the only thing that will hold the dirt back is the fasteners. Just wanted to point this out to help you prevent any possible cave ins in the future. This is just the engineer in me coming out.

Now that I can see the pictures...interesting build. I do have a couple questions to satisfy my curiosity.

how does the local zoning/building dept in your area feel about a project like this? Around here an inground pool would need all kinds of inspections but, since that is considered a temp pool do they require one?

Do you plan to back fill the retaining wall? If so, I see a possible major problem in the making. When a wall such as that is built and back filled the dirt should be pressing the boards against the posts, not pushing them away from the posts. As it is now, the only thing that will hold the dirt back is the fasteners. Just wanted to point this out to help you prevent any possible cave ins in the future. This is just the engineer in me coming out.

Thanks for your reply danpik. To answer your question, the 'zoning department' had less of a problem with our build than the nosy passersby who needed their curiosity satisfied (we live on the busiest corner in town and if I had a dime for every time we watched as people almost cause a traffic accident as their heads spun around to see what was going on in our back yard, well just let me say we would have enough to put in a much more expensive pool ;) ) Regardless of the type of pool (or pond) more than 24" in depth in our community, there are minimum requirements for fencing enclosures, etc. All fence structures require a permit and approval from the local building inspector.We had all of the required line locates performed before excavation, and a visit from the building inspector to inspect our plans and ensure we are building within the guidelines. Although minimum code is 60", the inspector allowed a variance for our deck rail which is coming in at 48" at its highest point, as he was satisfied the steps we were by adding a self latching locking gate would be sufficient. The steel fence that is being installed around the entire perimeter will be 60" with a 67" locking gate (in the same style as the one on the deck) at the far end of the pool where we have a stairway down into the "trench". The electrician secured all of his own permits and will be required to arrange for his own electrical inspection once his work is complete (all of the plans were reviewed with the inspector as well).

As to your question concerning the retaining wall, well that is an huge issue for me as well. The "builder" was to have installed the sleepers inside the posts. We do intend to backfill but not before we trench and install deadmen/ additional bracing along the backside of the wall to strengthen it. Once the pool has been removed in the fall we also intend to add additional posts on the inside of the wall, offset from the others, before reinstalling the pool next spring.

So it looks as though the pool guy will finally be out tomorrow evening to hard plumb the pump, filter, and heater. To eliminate the issue of trying to adapt to our manufacturer supplied fittings, he will be replacing the inlet/ outlet fittings and installing a through the wall skimmer as well. :) Awesome that we won't have to struggle through the process ourselves. One last call to the electrician to make the final connections, to the 'crew' to lay the last of the deck boards and maybe, just maybe we will be in the pool by the weekend. I assume that there wont be any way to keep our Grand-daughter from taking the plunge. She was so disappointed that it wasn't ready when she came last weekend that she and her little cousin, whom she brought along for a sleepover, insisted on putting on their bathing suits and going for a "swim" in the Jacuzzi tub instead.

We have gone as far as we can with the deck rail until the last of the deck boards are put down (once the pool is completely full), then have the rest of the pool fence to install around the perimeter of the retaining wall, and the wood steps into the 'pit' to complete, but we are getting so much closer to finally being done. Fingers crossed that by this time next week the only thing we will have left to do (besides re-landscaping the huge mess the excavation left behind) is to lay back and enjoy :)

Not sure why, but the image(s) appear somewhat distorted which gives the appearance that the deck rail is out of level and not plumb, but it is perfectly square and level (strange?!)
P6060117.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P6060114.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P6060112.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, anyone who knows us, or has been following our build, should have figured out by now that if it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck at all. Sadly, today is no exception. That will teach me for being excited about the prospect of finally having the pool ready. So with the thousands upon thousands of dollars already invested in our build, not to mention the hundreds of hours of work to get as far as we are, all it took was a visit from a the pool "guy" to almost completely undo everything we have worked so hard to achieve over the past several weeks and dampen any bit of enthusiasm I had left. So the story begins as he arrives while I am still at work, and exclaims to my husband that he has never really seen a pool such as ours before (should have been clue number one for him to send him packing). As I pull in the driveway, I asked if he had everything all figured out, which he quickly assured me he had. He came prepared with all of the necessary fittings and a plan to make any modifications needed to install all of the equipment and the skimmer. Without initially knowing about his previous comments/ conversation with the hubby, I was confident to leave him to go about his work while I went in house to get supper on the go. I went out about half an hour later to check on his progress, and came upon the most unexpected and horrific site one can imagine (Well perhaps I am being just a tad over dramatic, but please reserve judgement until you read on). Any of you (new) Intex owners know, that one of the biggest reservations many of us have is in making the decision to install a though the wall skimmer (judging by the sheer number of posts on the subject here on the forum). We thought we had eliminated most if not all of our fears (of the potentially catastrophic results of an improper install) by hiring a "professional" to do the job for us. Epic FAIL!!! We had filled the pool to the just below the lower return access 'hole' (so approx. 50% capacity) prior to his arrival. I came outside to discover that he had begun the install of the skimmer on the higher of the two return 'holes' which means we would have been able to only fill our pool to maybe 60% capacity (if I hadn't caught him in time). I was speechless as I stared at the light shining through the 9 tiny (screw) holes now poking though the side of my brand new pool (the only thing that saved me from losing complete control is that we 'caught' him in time before he made the "CUT"). I managed to regain my composure enough to form a sentence and asked if he wouldn't mind stepping into the house to take a look at a pic of how it SHOULD be done (thank you to all of the experts on this forum who have shared your pics...you have no idea how valuable the info you share can be). Well, I don't know who was more stunned between the two of us. Needless to say it was time to figure out how we were going to rectify the situation, as all I could think of were those 9 tiny holes which were about to throw another huge wrench into our plans He assured me he could install a patch and that we would be able to repair it...only problem...he didn't bring the repair kit with him (he already traveled 120 miles round trip to come out tonight and we are paying him by the hour PLUS mileage). So no chance of filling the pool now until the repair has been completed. He has several other bookings this week, so unfortunately wont be able to return until Saturday (we're expecting thunderstorms all weekend...hmmm just our luck). So begins the seemingly never ending task of rescheduling everyone... texted the deck 'crew' to cancel yet again, will have to cancel the electrician for Friday, and we will have to pay a premium to have a water truck deliver on a Saturday (if we can get anyone to come at all). The worse thing is that my poor Grand-Daughter will be stuck admiring the pool from the (unfinished) deck again this weekend and probably into next week by the time we are able to synchronize everyone's schedules again.

I have figured out that if we manage to keep the pool up until mid/ end of Sept (weather permitting) that will leave us exactly 13 weeks to enjoy it barring any further complications (as we are away in Florida for two weeks at the end of August/ Sept), and with our expenses approaching $12000 and climbing...well you do the math LOL I have come to the conclusion that we are absolutely certifiable (and if I am not now, surely will be at the end of this project ;)

Wow Ariel68, that was a lucky catch... It sucks he put 9 screw holes in your pool..... :-( You should be able to pick up a vinyl patch from somewhere close.... I'm so sorry you're having such hassles.....

I've already cut two holes in my pool to remove those stupid plastic tube like things, and installed bigger suctions and returns, and I've got the skimmer to go, so I'm feeling pretty prepared to cut it.... :) Hang in there, your pool is still going to be all kinds of awesome... :)

Wow Ariel68, that was a lucky catch... It sucks he put 9 screw holes in your pool..... :-( You should be able to pick up a vinyl patch from somewhere close.... I'm so sorry you're having such hassles.....

I've already cut two holes in my pool to remove those stupid plastic tube like things, and installed bigger suctions and returns, and I've got the skimmer to go, so I'm feeling pretty prepared to cut it.... :) Hang in there, your pool is still going to be all kinds of awesome... :)

Thanks laceygirl. It is getting very disheartening but I keep telling myself that all of these "hiccups" we have experienced will just make us appreciate it even more once we finally reach the finish line.

Your build is coming along "swimmingly" (pardon the pun) and I can't wait to see your finished project as well (however at the rate we are going I fear yours will be ready before ours LOL).

Took a few pics after he left for the evening after he 'regrouped' from his faux pas and adjusted the placement of the skimmer (to where it should have been to begin with)

P6110239.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P6110244.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

He threw the return fitting in the hole (like it would camouflage the 'oops' somehow?!)

I suppose the evening wasn't a complete loss. The pump, filter and heater are in place ready for him to make his plumbing connections on Saturday and on a positive note, he says the electrician should still be able to keep to his schedule too.

P6110240.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I still can't believe he thought this was how the pool was normally SUPPOSED to look (with its bowed sides and nowhere near full capacity)?!

P6110247.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.