Concord, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I'm still on the intex standard filter & pump. I would like to get something a little beefier while keeping the SWG. I've tried the calculators trying to figure out what size, but would love tried and true recommendations. I'm up for sand or cartridge filters. I figure either has to be a vast improvement over what I currently use.

China sand pump and filter should work fine (listed as 3/4 hp but actually 1/3 hp), might be a hair underpowerd for vacuuming. I think my brother has one on a 15', and I used it on my 24' half the year last year although the filter is way too small for a 24'.

The Intex cart filter pump(633 I think) is 1/2 hp and pretty good, you can just leave the filter out and buy a sand filter.

Last edited:
What exactly is China sand pump? Is that a brand? Or just any basic pump / filter combo?

China sand pump and filter should work fine (listed as 3/4 hp but actually 1/3 hp), might be a hair underpowerd for vacuuming. I think my brother has one on a 15', and I used it on my 24' half the year last year although the filter is way too small for a 24'.

The Intex cart filter pump(633 I think) is 1/2 hp and pretty good, you can just leave the filter out and buy a sand filter.

A 1 hp for a 18' will be nice for vacuuming, but waste money for normal use

Any basic pump filter combo that is a pump 1/2 hp or less, note the one I used to use was advertised as 3/4 hp but the pump is 1/3.

This is mine, I still use the filter with a Intex 633 pump

s-l300.jpg

I upgraded from the internet 1500 gph to the 2500gph and it's a huge improvement. I have a 16'x48", with a skimmer and it stays clean, and I can vacuum (triangle shaped one on a pole) with no problem. Plus it all fit without adapters and was less than $100.

Thanks cferrman & rwood5093 for the replies :)

My first thought on going to a sand filter was because of how poor the Intex cartridge filter and pump combo works for my pool. I have spent hours and hours reading about filters and pumps and combo systems and now I think I am going to stick with a cartridge filter type system. I found a reasonably priced Blue Wave, but they are not legal to be sold in California. My budget is telling me I need to wait about 4 or 5 weeks before I make the purchase, so gives me some more time to do research!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get the hp of the pump, stay away above 1 hp.

Why not a sand filter?
It's a 1 hp. New it looks like it is about $550. The seller lives at least 90 minutes away, but I'll happen to be driving in that area Thursday and Sunday so if it's still available then I'll check it out.

Water clarity is why I've been thinking cartridge. Everything I've read says de is superior, then cartridge followed by sand. My pool takes a lot of tree, pollen, dirt and yard clipping abuse, along with our bad habit of yard work, cleaning, working on the house and then getting in the pool dirty to cool off and I was having to run the filter 12-24 hours a day to try to keep up, plus the robot vacuum and cleaning or changing the intex filters at least weekly. I don't mind the physical maintenance of the pool, but want a filter that is bigger and better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.