worst summer

Aug 19, 2017
dover, delaware
hey guys. i just brought a house last summer and inherited the inground pool. when i got the house, the pool was crystal clear(maybe they had just shocked it). but either way, this whole summer i could shock it and a week later it would be green. i yhought i had everything right this time, and the poik was clear for about a week and a half, but after all the rain last night, i wpke up to a green pool.
test results, cya 30ppm, fc 7, ph 7.7. i run the filter for 14 hours a day

There is no reason to shock a pool. If you have algae you need to preform a SLAM Process. Lower you pH to 7.2, bring you FC up to 12 and maintain it there until you pass the 3 criteria listed in the slam article.

Algae likes to hide in hard to get to spots like the back of the weir door, behind the light, or inside ladders. Make sure to clean everything best you can.

Have you read through Pool School yet? Best place to start is ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

yes i have been slamming, pool will then turn white with dead algae, turn clear ip a little where i can see the 8 ft bottom a little. but will get not clearer, at that point i just leave my FC high and still gets no better. i believe i have a filter issue, doesnt seem to catch much, and flow is never really high

Perhaps a deep clean on the sand filter is in order (and might explain low flow) but usually for algae issues, it's entirely a chemistry issue.
I have the same filter as yours and it works very well.

How are you doing the CYA test?

It could be possible you've done a slam but didn't see it all the way to completion...is my guess.

It would take several days for the water to clear up.

Just a quick question...your psi gauge on the filter...it goes to zero when it's off right?

If it does, and the gauge is good, I can tell you my exact same filter you have is running at 16 now as well.

But if the filter is channeled in the sand it won't be filtering as well as it could.

do a search for deep cleaning sand filter....you might be needing that.

Were you brushing the pool every day during the slam? That is SUPER important.
A pain in the rump, but has to be done.

And you passed all 3 criteria?

I really don't think it's your filter, but it might be a good idea to deep clean it first.
Then do the slam again.

If the slam is done exactly as the instructions say, your algae WILL be gone.
I had to do a slam for mustard algae once...it was no fun at all, but it got
rid of the algae and it never came back.

yes, its a new gauge. it works fine.

i will try to do a deep cleaning in the morning.

but also borjis, i see you have the same filer and pump size. but my pool is almost twice your size. not sure what size piping you have, but could poor circulation allow algae to grow faster???

Lack of proper chlorination allows algae to grow faster. Poor circulation just provides it an easy area to grow.

What is this you're doing when you say you "shocked it" and a week later it was green again. What did you add and how? How much? How often?

We need a FULL set of test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

Maddie :flower:

full test results as of this morning

fc: 10.5
cc: 0
ph: 7.3
ch: 140
alk: 70
cya: 34
salt 3200
temp: 73

when i shock it, i do the slam process, raising chlorine high enough to shock levels according to cya, and then turn my salt generator to 100 percent and the fc goes up evern higher , i brushthe pool daily and doing backwash every day, still never seems to get fully clear even after a week.

as of right now i am cleaning the sand. it was really dirty, but no clums or anything. im leaving for vacation saturday morning. the sand is so dirty that after 2 hours of cleaning the water is still not coming out clear. so i just put the filter back together without sand just to continue circulation. if i done get the time to fully clean the sand, will the pool be ok to run with no filter for 5 days

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you ever pass the OCLT before dropping you FC when you thought the SLAM was done? We usually recommend to the the SWG off during the SLAM, to save wear and tear, and definitely off for the OCLT.

If you end the SLAM too sone, algae will almost always come back.

A proper SLAM can take many weeks. It's the white cloudy stage that takes the most POP (pool owner patience) We usually suggest taking a picture each day and comparing them. You'll be surprised at the difference you see doing that.

hey everyone just an update. i just came back from my 8 day vacation and came home to a crystal clear pool. it hasnt been this clear all summer. and all i did was do a deep clean to the sand filter, and added a knee high stocking to the filter basket, i havent even test the results of the pool but i will soon and post result. but boy, a clean filter makes a world of a difference. thanks alot to the trouble free guys.(can someone please tell me how to resize tje pictures prior to posting, thanks lol)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.