Woohoo pool delivery Tuesday! What to watch for?

May 29, 2018
Carlisle, PA
Our pool is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday! Our dig should be done tomorrow.
This is a Pool Warehouse inground and I saw some posts about the coping...should I expect the coping to be pre-bent for my corners? We went with the bullnose coping. I know to check for damage but are there any small components they tend to miss? Is there any way to check the liner or is that something you figure out the day you drop it in? We go on vacation next Friday and I amost wish we were staying home to work on the pool ?!

I would take note of everything the installers add to the water on fill day. Product names, dosage amounts, etc. That way you can keep the water clear before you leave and hopefully it will be that way when you return. Congrats on the new pool! :swim:

When you get your bill of lading sign off on it, but write possible missing or concealed damage, sign it and take a picture of it if they don't give you a copy. When you get your packet in email from pool warehouse they have instructions on how to receive it and detail this in the packet. Then immediately inventory everything checking it off on the list. They will inventory all the way down to the bolts for your panels. My shipment came in 3 separate shipments. 1st was the panels, 2nd was the equipment (sand, steps, filter etc.) and 3rd was my slide. It is possible some of your panels will come damaged. You need to evaluate if you feel they need to be replaced by pool warehouse or not. In all honesty if it is minor or can be banged out with a block of wood and hammer I would let it go and not get all worked up about it. I had some panels that came in bent on the back side and you won't even see that. Just evaluate and make a decision. I know the first thing that will cross your mind is I paid good money for this and it should come pristine. It doesn't and the replacement panel could be worse.

Open up all of your coping and inspect and make sure you got enough. Your corners will come pre-bent. You will want to open up and inspect those. I had issues with mine being damaged and didn't open them until way into my project.

there is really noway to check the liner. You can open up the box and make sure it is the right color / pattern, but you really don't want to unroll it until you are ready to install it. This was actually one of my bigger concerns of the whole project. Since the liner is already cut you need to be somewhat precise when you do your bottom. There is some tolerance but if you are shallow you liner will sag and come out of the track. If you make it two low then the liner might rip when you add water. Trust me the liner is much tougher then you think, but it can only stretch so much.

Next steps to look at:

Bond Beam:
After you get your panels set and secure the next thing you need to be looking at is getting the concrete truck priced out for your bond beam. Again I did it my self and it cost me about $1,200.00. The driver had done several pools and was very helpful. The company that I went with only gives you 1 hour and 15 minuets before they start charging an overage and cleaning fee. He literally drove around the pool with me directing the shoot. I did all the way around my 20X40 in less than 20 minuets.

Plumbing:
I went with all 2" plumbing to my equipment pad. Invest in a PVC cutter! Don't be cheap like I was and used my chop saw and I can't tell you how many times I climbed in and out of my trench.
don't mess around with the small cans of PVC cement. Get the big cans of Primer and Glue. Make sure you buy sch 40 for pressure, not drain / waste. If you are going to have any water features plan out any possible plumbing loops you might need. I purchased valves to control every aspect of my pool. So I have home runs for all of my returns, slide and deck jets. All of this is plumbed to a manifold. Since I have 2 aqua genies and no main drain I chose to plumb my skimmers on a T. That way one or the other has to be open. My only risk is dropping my water line below my skimmer. I also chose not to install my auto drain. I have a cyclical high water table. Early spring into mid summer my water table stays high. Towards fall it drops off to near nothing. When it rains I wanted to have the extra water in my pool, plus that is free water!

If you are a planner and good at figuring materials you can approach the lowes pro desk and tell them you are working on a project and you need to buy all this STUFF for a project. If it is big enough and you buy enough they will give you a percentage off for purchasing it all at once.

Thanks. I don't want anyone to think I am promoting pool warehouse. I used them and was very pleased with them and have been very happy with my hydra pool and aqua genies!

I also really enjoy the process of building a pool! I wish the mods would create a section just for diy In-ground and Above ground kit builds outside of under contruction! Hint Hint!!

Thank you thank you thank you! You just made twenty questions pop into my head with your write up but my first panic was do you mean there are two types of sched 40 pipe? I'm hoping I just read it wrong cause I ordered most of my sched 40 fittings, valves etc online already! I went with two aqua genies and 2" suction side 1.5 on the returns with everything having it's own ball valve. I like you idea of not being able to turn off both skimmers though. I was worried my kidsight accidently do that. ( Or me before I have coffee)

As far as I know its just the fittings. My pressure rating on my pipe was something like 280 psi. you will never be that high, but that is what you are rated for.

You will also need to get an oaty pressure test plug. its a PITA to get it in the return of the aqua genie but you can do it.

Also, you mentioned ball valve. Did you buy a jandy valve? or a ball valve for a pool. Depending on the valve it can restrict your flow. Also by using a valve similar to a jandy valve you can rebuild it if it leaks or the hand breaks off.

I went with American valve p200sue model single unions. You are right about that inside diameter being a little smaller. I went to a plumbing specialty store to ask if that would restrict my flow and they said it was fine...but it seems to me it would defeat the size of the pipe. I'm surprised how little knowledge so many places have about pool plumbing, electrical and bonding. I am so glad I found this site! I've spent so much of my time reading up on installing a pool but soon I need to learn the whole running a pool, like how to turn it all on and how to test water! I am clueless once it's together what to do next��
[h=1][/h]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For pressure testing you will need a different size test plug for the different size pipes. I would recommend building a pressure test stick.

http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6293

I bought all my pipe and fittings from lowes. I bought my jandy values from Pool warehouse.

If you want to pressure test all at one time. look at this thread on how they did the mainifold to test all at once.
New Pool in Cumming Georgia

I've spent so much of my time reading up on installing a pool but soon I need to learn the whole running a pool, like how to turn it all on and how to test water! I am clueless once it's together what to do next��
[h=1][/h]

I got ya covered here!!!!! Look in my siggy below for the test kit I think is the best bang for the buck. I would go ahead and order it so we can make a shopping list for your water.

Go ahead and download our Pool Math app as seen here: Pool Math This will give you a chance to play with it and learn how to use it.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.