Wood Burning Fire Pits

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando fl
So we are having and pool and screen enclosure built for us. We want to have a non permanent wood burning fire pit. It would be located on the deck, which will be travertine. I am wondering if a pit with drain holes will damage or discolor the deck if it were to rain in it. Would we need to take any precautions to prevent the deck from becoming discolored by the fire pit?

Is this pit being built as a project with the option to tear it down, or is this one of those pre-fab type products? I have a large wood burning kettle/pit that can be used just for burning wood or we can place a grate on it for grilling. It has a single drain hole to let water out if necessary, but that drain has a cap installed until I'm ready to drain. Because this kettle/pit is so large, I don't generally move it, but I do place a steel bucket under it to capture anything I try to drain. I wouldn't want the soot or grease on the deck.

I have one similar to this. Yes it will leave soot below where you have it. I can clean it off of my concrete with some soapy water and a good scrub brush but it was more trouble then it was worth. I moved mine into the grass.

Get a cover for it when not in use, that should help prevent it from getting water in it and leaking onto your deck.

sounds like a homemade version of the solo stove
Yay, someone finally metioned SoloStove (or the several other double-walled stainless steel low/no smoke varieties). We love our SoloStove Bonfire (thought if I ever replace it I'd upsize to a Yukon - we have plenty of space). They are great though they do throw less heat horizontally because of the double wall - but that's the magic part that greatly reduces smoke once burning well. I bought a SS lid for mine so rain doesn't get in it. Unless it rains overnight right after a fire since I don't cover it until the next morning. SoloStove doesn't make a SS cover (they do make a soft one), but I bought one that works ($$). I don't normally have it by the pool, but the kids were having a party in the pic below. I don't have a pic of my cover on it. Here is a link to the cover. It's 22" wide so it overhangs a Bonfire by about 1 1/2" on each side. Fire Pit Cover for 19” Round Burner Pan, Stainless Steel It's thick and heavy guage, though due to the way the wind hits the house and curls down and back toward the fire pit, it can get popped off in strong winds. So I place two solid 2 3/4" gray paver stones on it for ballast. I put four dollops of silicone on the bottoms of them, and let it dry before placing them, to keep them from scratching the lid and so it dries.

I've had zero staining from the firepit onto the the paver patio in 3 or so years I've owned it. It stays out for about 9 months per year in the same place and we get regular rain year-round. Any firepit with a drain is going to make a mess on a patio if it is kept open. When I had my heavy Kokopelli style steel fire pit, I used small cork planter discs under the three legs. That was a bare steel fire pit that was rusty by design. It did not have a drain, though being rusty, and having a rounded bottom, it did drip and create a rust area on the deck (not a worry for me as it stayed in the same place). I used the spark arrestor and a soft cover for several years, then when that wore out, I just let the water catch in the firepit. The ashes soaked much of it up and, well, it rusted through several years later after about 10-15 total years of heavy service. And now I have the Bonfire.

Reactions: B.lu
SoloStove doesn't make a SS cover (they do make a soft one), but I bought one that works ($$).
Solo Stove does make a SS cover. I just bought one for my Bonefire. They just recently came out with it. Not sure why you wait until morning to cover it. I cover mine once the fire burns down to coals. I’m guessing you don’t leave your fire before that anyway. It doesn’t extinguish the remaining fire, but the cover keeps rain out and stray sparks in.

When I saw this post, the first thing I thought of was my SoloStove. Not sure if it will be what the OP is looking for, but worth checking out. Just get ready for a bit of sticker shock. I was lucky to at least get mine on sale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Solo Stove does make a SS cover. I just bought one for my Bonefire. They just recently came out with it. Not sure why you wait until morning to cover it. I cover mine once the fire burns down to coals. I’m guessing you don’t leave your fire before that anyway. It doesn’t extinguish the remaining fire, but the cover keeps rain out and stray sparks in.

When I saw this post, the first thing I thought of was my SoloStove. Not sure if it will be what the OP is looking for, but worth checking out. Just get ready for a bit of sticker shock. I was lucky to at least get mine on sale.
Ah, good that the made their own cover to get those sales also. I have my fires at night and often it’s still burning some when I leave it. It’s a on a large paver patio, so I suppose I could cover it though the smoke out the bottom would be a bit much at first.

I did buy the handle which works well.

I have both the SoloStove bonfire and the yukon, and love them both! I purchased the bonfire, and within a week of doing that, they ran their Kickstarter for the yukon. So I backed that one as well. They are fantastic but they are pricey.

I have not seen the SS cover addition. I used the bonfire carrying bag as a cover for it. I have the spark arrestors which help keep the soft covers from sagging and pooling. They are the best! No smoke at all! I do the same as bmore and don't cover until the next morning, so I have gotten rain in mine once or twice. I have had zero staining on the patio from them.

--Jeff

We have ours on a patio next to the pool that has old, dark pavers, so I've never noticed anything. I try to keep it covered to minimize water getting into it. The cover will also make the firepit last longer. My landmann pit also suggested adding some sand to the bottom to help extend it's life.

I have both the SoloStove bonfire and the yukon, and love them both! I purchased the bonfire, and within a week of doing that, they ran their Kickstarter for the yukon. So I backed that one as well. They are fantastic but they are pricey.

I have not seen the SS cover addition. I used the bonfire carrying bag as a cover for it. I have the spark arrestors which help keep the soft covers from sagging and pooling. They are the best! No smoke at all! I do the same as bmore and don't cover until the next morning, so I have gotten rain in mine once or twice. I have had zero staining on the patio from them.

--Jeff
We have the Ranger, and I am trying to decide whether to buy the Bonfire or Yukon. Which do you prefer?

I don't have the Yukon but I do have the Bonfire. If money was no object, I'd get the Yukon. A bigger fire is a better fire but the Bonfire was the largest at the time I bought it. However, keep in mind that the Yukon must be a beast. The Bonfire is somewhat hard to move around and store so I imagine the Yukon is even worse. Mainly though, since you already have the Ranger, there's no point in getting the Bonfire. You have the smaller fire with that. Get the Yukon.

Reactions: Indeeph2o
I have the Yukon and love it. I have the stainless steel lid as well and if anyone is wondering the soft cover will fit right over the stainless steel lid so you can use the cover over the lid (obviously wait until it has cooled down and the fire is out for the soft cover). The stainless lid is great because you can put the lid on when the embers are almost done and not worry about having to wait until its completely out and if it rains over night you are solid and no mess. The yukon is a beast (that's what we call it), you need to feed it wood or she gets angry (ha), that's for sure. No regrets!

Attachments

• Solo Sove-Yukon.jpg
    Solo Sove-Yukon.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Yukon-Cover.jpg
    Yukon-Cover.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 37
Wood length for Bonfire is sometimes an issue. Keeping wood below the top results in the least smoke. The Yukon would probably use 50% more wood, but length would never matter. So money, wood storage space or time to get and chop it can be considerations. I cut the current oak I’m using so I cut perfect 12-14” long rounds.

If I ever replace it, it will be with a Yukon. Change can be good.

Reactions: Indeeph2o
I will say the yukon does not get as warm unless you build a raging fire. I got seemingly more warmth from the bonfire than the yukon. I enjoy them both, just depends on how large a fire you want.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.