Wiring SWG with a two-speed pump

JCD3nton

Jul 6, 2020
Laredo, TX
After almost a year of procrastination, I finally have an RJ60+ in hand and I'm ready to install it. I am unsure of the wiring because I have a two-speed pump hooked up to a Polaris EOS control center that was installed by the prior homeowners. I have attached some photos and diagrams below.

The wiring diagram for the EOS appears to show the pump connected to High Power Relay 1 and Optional two speed Pump Relay at location 5 directly below. The pump is wired as follows (labeled in the photographs):

1: Red wire/switches to yellow at the wire nut: attached to the two-speed relay
2: Blue wire: attached to the two-speed relay
3: Black wire: attached to the high power relay (looks like the "load" position according to diagram)
4: Green wire: runs to the ground section on the right

There is also a short red wire (unlabeled) running between the two-speed relay and the high-power relay, attached to the rightmost screw on the high-power relay (appears to be "load" based on diagram).

My best guess is that I attach the black and white wires from the RJ60+ to High-Power Relay 1, to the same terminals that the black wire (3) and the unlabeled red wire are attached to. Then the green wire obviously goes off to the ground section. Assuming that is correct, this still leaves a few questions:

-The terminals are going to be crowded because they already have two wires and will get a third. In terms of making a safe connection, should I twist the ends of the wires together or keep them separated as much as possible?
-Does it matter which of the two load terminals the black and white wires go to, or are they interchangeable?
-Would I have any reason to switch the jumper on the RJ60+ from 240 (listed as default in manual) to 120, and how would I know if that is needed?
-The way I am thinking this needs to be wired, the two-speed relay basically just gets ignored. If I do it this way, will the SWG turn off and on correctly at the same times as the pump, regardless of the speed?

Thanks in advance for help with this.

Attachments

• 20240506_172549.jpg
    20240506_172549.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240506_172651.jpg
    20240506_172651.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240506_172615.jpg
    20240506_172615.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240506_172531.jpg
    20240506_172531.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 8
It’s 240v the jumpers going to the relay 2 are for a booster pump most likely. Black is your common and orange goes to the 2 speed relay and switches between low/high. Hooking it up to load1 load2 of relay 1 should give it power on low and high speeds. I would have to look at the wiring diagram for the rj60 to tell you which colored wires go where.

It’s 240v the jumpers going to the relay 2 are for a booster pump most likely. Black is your common and orange goes to the 2 speed relay and switches between low/high. Hooking it up to load1 load2 of relay 1 should give it power on low and high speeds. I would have to look at the wiring diagram for the rj60 to tell you which colored wires go where.

Thanks. I do have a booster pump so you're probably right. I did some wiring research today and got some 12 gauge solid wire so I could pigtail the connections, but maybe it's better to just take those jumpers off and replace them with the RJ60+ wire. This is probably a dumb question but I googled and could not find the answer--assuming those jumpers are going to a cleaner pump, what is their purpose?

Since they are on the load side of the filter pump relay, the booster pump will not get power to the line side of the relay if the filter pump is off. This protects the booster pump from overheating or damage. Some automation can designate the a relay for booster either through settings, or dip switches on the board. Iwould have to look at the manual for your automation if any such setting is available. If the booster is still in use, I would just do this 0D446C75-E867-4FB0-8EC8-C6C441FEF3D3.jpeg
And keep the jumpers. Just make sure you are hooking the swg up for 240v based on their diagram.