Wiring RJ-45 into existing junction box

richguy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2013
Hello All—

Looking at the pic I have included (and attempted to label) below, a couple of questions.
23FC4437-E818-4DF9-B68B-95EA603D5D46.jpeg

I am preparing to install a SWG, the RJ-45 into my 22,000 gal fiberglass pool. Looking at the wiring situation, instead of the pump going directly to the timer it goes into the junction box above. Box used to contain wiring for now removed pool heater. Looking at the above diagram, I believe that the simplest thing for me to do is to remove wire nuts labeled a,b,c replace them with 3 wire connectors, bring the SWG wire through the empty conduit that used to contain the heater wiring and then connect ground to A and the loads to B and C. Is this the best way to to do this? The run back to the timer would be stretching the limits of the standard RJ-45 wire.

Thanks for help and advice.

Pics of the inside of the timer enclosure - showing the wiring - would help us to help you. What kind of pump do you have - VS, single speed, 2 speed? How far is the timer from that junction box. Personally, I'd prefer to wire the SWG direftly to the timer and not thru any junction box.

Filling out your signature, listing your pool type/volume and listing all your equipment in detail helps us to help you - and we won't have to ask for that info next time you need assistance.

I don’t know when that wiring was done but NEC today requires pool pumps on a line with a GFCI circuit breaker. And the pump usually has to be on its own dedicated GFCI CB to meet code. If that matters to you.

Last edited:
This box is Downstream from the timer, essentially it just acts as an extension back to the timer. I’m traveling this week but can pics of the timer when I return. It’s a single speed pump, and the timer is an old intermatic with the dial and screw on trippers that flip it on or off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.