Wiring help for new Suraielec WiFi Timer - newb questions

Ajg3

Dec 28, 2023
Chambersburg, PA
Hi Everyone

Brand new here. Have 120v and trying to replace old mechanical switch with new WiFi timer switch but the wiring has me stumped. Oddly - the timer doesn’t power on and I think it is because I am confused by the existing wiring.

This is our old mechanical timer and related wiring:
1703772597733.jpeg

1703772664652.jpeg
So we interpreted we have two load wires (blue and red), line/power Black) and neutral (White). So we followed this wiring instruction:
image3.png

And proceeded to wire the new switch:
1703772702935.jpeg
Line in: Black in L (Live)
Black Jumper from L to Com1
Neutral (White) in N
White Jumper from N to NO1
Com1 jumper from L and to NO2
NO1 jumper from N and Load 1 (Blue Wire)
Com2 Red Wire, Load 2
NO2 has Jumper from Com1 only

I am not entirely sure which load is which but didn’t figure it mattered as long as each was switched.

I was also surprised the Black was wired into the original timer as load when it was actual hot. I am however not an electrician so may not be recognizing an alternate way to bring line/power in.

Regardless - the device is not powering on and therefor can’t switch it. Can you help identify if my wiring is wrong?

Assuming that your old timer actually worked, then the black wire can't be your hot input lead, as it is not connected to the clock wiring.

I guess it could also be an odd model timer, with a Normally Closed set of contacts... :scratch:

Do you have a voltmeter?

What is the actual part number on your old timer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The contacts between 1 and 2 are Normally closed, so they open when the timer is on..

The contacts between 3 and 4 are Normally Open, so they close with the timer is on.

Your hot lead from the breaker should be the blue wire.

The Red wire is going to load #1 and is only hot when the timer is off.

The Black wire is going to load #2 and is only hot when the timer is on..

Before I lead you down the wrong path, please tell me what loads you have???

What load do you want to shut off when the timer is on?? I am puzzled by this one... :)

Basically, what all is the old timer controlling???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

Great questions are no good without great answers... :mrgreen:

Your timer is an odd one for most pool systems...

When that timer turns on, some lights should turn on, but also something else (other lights???) should turn off.

What turns off???

With this odd timer out of the circuit, what no longer works?

Do you just want your new timer to turn on a set of lights???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.