Winterizing Jandy JXi Heater and the Water Pressure Switch

Jul 21, 2015
Toronto
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, trying to follow the Owners' Manual instructions for winterizing my Jandy JXi gas fired pool heater but I hit a snag....a screenshot from the manual shows the diagram of the pressure switch connection with a copper tube, indicating I need to disconnect the copper tube from the pressure switch and drain the copper tube for winterizing. But this is inside the heater and very difficult to access. But the tube seems to pass through the sidewall of the heater and attach just after the water inlet, and this would be very easy to access and disconnect. See pic attached. Since it's the same tube, I can't see why I cant disconnect outside....Do you think I could accomplish the same result by disconnecting on the outside, as opposed to the very difficult task of accessing the connection inside. The outside connection is just the other end of the tube that connects to the pressure switch inside. Thanks for any help or advice.

Attachments

• Water pressure switch inside heater.JPG
    Water pressure switch inside heater.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Copper tube outside.jpg
    Copper tube outside.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks, do you live in an area where there are freezing temps in the winter? (I have done the other things you mentioned too).

I am in Maryland so we don't get quite the hard-freezes you get. But it does go well below freezing here. If you do want to drain that line you could just unscrew it from the outside like you showed in the pic.

I think the inside disconnect is to drain the WPS. The WPS may not fully drain with the outside disconnect.

Your risk is needing to replace the WPS if the outside disconnect did not fully drain the WPS and freezing water damaged the WPS.

I think the risk is more for the copper tube than with the WPS itself.

If you disconnect the tube from outside no water will come out as it is airlocked. I just did it today. Water start draining when you disconnect where it is attached to the WPS. It takes 2min to disconnect both ends so this is just what I would do and then put it back together.

Hi, trying to follow the Owners' Manual instructions for winterizing my Jandy JXi gas fired pool heater but I hit a snag....a screenshot from the manual shows the diagram of the pressure switch connection with a copper tube, indicating I need to disconnect the copper tube from the pressure switch and drain the copper tube for winterizing. But this is inside the heater and very difficult to access. But the tube seems to pass through the sidewall of the heater and attach just after the water inlet, and this would be very easy to access and disconnect. See pic attached. Since it's the same tube, I can't see why I cant disconnect outside....Do you think I could accomplish the same result by disconnecting on the outside, as opposed to the very difficult task of accessing the connection inside. The outside connection is just the other end of the tube that connects to the pressure switch inside. Thanks for any help or advice.
I was researching this exact same thing for how I would deal with a loss of power during freezing temps. Everything seems pretty straight forward at the equipment pad (pumps, filter etc.) except this one copper line for the pressure switch mentioned in the manual. Access to this location looks to be a pain!

I was researching this exact same thing for how I would deal with a loss of power during freezing temps. Everything seems pretty straight forward at the equipment pad (pumps, filter etc.) except this one copper line for the pressure switch mentioned in the manual. Access to this location looks to be a pain!
Actually not Bad. Just have to remove the four screws on the side access panel. Pretty straight forward and the entire procedure wI’ll take 5-10min.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.