NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Has anyone winterized a pool basketball base that is filled with water? If so what is the best method, drain half and replace half with pool antifreeze? Deciding whether to drain it (Dunnrite Splash and Shoot) which has a drain on the top so siphon would be used but thinking of avoiding that. I could drain and probably store in shed (definitely two person job). Just want to know if pool antfireeze 50/50 would be good enough in NJ. We can a few days of zero but usually winter is not that cold.

Ice generally expands up, about 10%, and not out. Turn it over and let half glug out and call it a day.
I did not know that, I thought it expanded in all directions. Curious why this was moved to the coffee bar which is non pool related even though this is a "pool" basketball hoop? Further the coffee bar is supposed to be non pool related but always seems to have pool related threads. Maybe the Coffee Bar description needs to change.

Curious why this was moved to the coffee bar
Meh. Semantics. It wasn't pool related enough for a Mod, so they moved it. With several of us looking out, we all have our own way of seeing things. It's still all good.

*edit. Dang IT Wolfpacke. Now you got me stuck in my own head. :ROFLMAO: 'Everything else' is for pool functioning besides pumps/swgs. (Heaters, automation, etc). 'Poolside paradise' kinda fits but it's really for loungers, landscaping and such. A basket ball hoop, while fun, is hardly paradise-esque. Maybe at Lebron's house, but I digress. So yeah. It's a coffee bar thing.

BUT.

You had a question and got an answer in minutes, even in the lesser trafficked Coffee Bar. And you got to chat with an old friend. Life is good today. Don't sweat the small stuff. :) :cheers:

Reactions: oldprophet
Meh. Semantics. It wasn't pool related enough for a Mod, so they moved it. With several of us looking out, we all have our own way of seeing things. It's still all good.

*edit. Dang IT Wolfpacke. Now you got me stuck in my own head. :ROFLMAO: 'Everything else' is for pool functioning besides pumps/swgs. (Heaters, automation, etc). 'Poolside paradise' kinda fits but it's really for loungers, landscaping and such. A basket ball hoop, while fun, is hardly paradise-esque. Maybe at Lebron's house, but I digress. So yeah. It's a coffee bar thing.

BUT.

You had a question and got an answer in minutes, even in the lesser trafficked Coffee Bar. And you got to chat with an old friend. Life is good today. Don't sweat the small stuff. :) :cheers:
Agree just was curious. I just got a response from Dunnrite they said to drain as once water freezes on the surface the remaining water expands in all directions and will crack the base. So drain it I must or use pool antifreeze.

Revisit the 2nd grade science experiment and put a glass of water in the freezer. Tomorrow it will be (slightly) muffin topped and not shattered. Ice expands up and not out when up is an option. They're being overly cautious, and I don't blame them because they get the warranty claims otherwise.

Most antifreeze jugs suggest 1 gallon per 1 gallon if water. You may need a couple if you go that route.

It probably be easier to duct tape a short piece of garden hose to the shop vac hose and suck out 98% of it. Then it's a non issue.

I have a basketball hoop n base. I just pull the plug and drain as much as I can. The left over water that I can't get out I just leave in and replace the plug and put it in the basement to promptly forget about til next year. I won't lose any sleep over it! :mrgreen:

Reactions: proavia and Newdude
I have a basketball hoop n base. I just pull the plug and drain as much as I can. The left over water that I can't get out I just leave in and replace the plug and put it in the basement to promptly forget about til next year. I won't lose any sleep over it! :mrgreen:
Perfect thanks!

Reactions: Casey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.