AZinPA

Jul 28, 2021
Doylestown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I renovated in April - diamond brite french grey plaster with new tile and coping. I closed about 5 weeks ago. I opened opposite ends of the cover yesterday and ran a 3200 GPH pump from the deep end to the shallow end using a 2” hose to circulate the water for about 6 hours in my 22000 gallon pool. I tested the water afterwards and my pH is through the roof. I say 8.6 but in reality i don’t know because it was bright purple. The pool looks fine. Should I dump in a bunch of acid and continue running the pump, and maybe open the cover more and brush? Or do I just do what every other sane person who owns a pool does and let it ride out of sight, out of mind until April?

------------------------------------------
Test Results 11-19-2023 @ 05:14 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.1
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 8.6
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 275
CYA: 61
Temperature: 50°F
CSI: 0.56

Nope, your pH will just climb again back to equilibrium with your TA.

CO2_Out_of_Equilibrium.jpg

I renovated in April - diamond brite french grey plaster with new tile and coping. I closed about 5 weeks ago. I opened opposite ends of the cover yesterday and ran a 3200 GPH pump from the deep end to the shallow end using a 2” hose to circulate the water for about 6 hours in my 22000 gallon pool. I tested the water afterwards and my pH is through the roof. I say 8.6 but in reality i don’t know because it was bright purple. The pool looks fine. Should I dump in a bunch of acid and continue running the pump, and maybe open the cover more and brush? Or do I just do what every other sane person who owns a pool does and let it ride out of sight, out of mind until April?

Test Results 11-19-2023 @ 05:14 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.1
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 8.6
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 275
CYA: 61
Temperature: 50°F
CSI: 0.56
It looks like you added baking soda when you close the pool but you didn’t need to. The increased TA is what’s pushing your pH up. Just leave things alone until spring.

Deal with whatever you have in April. Nothing you can do during the winter.

Open early as soon as we are past freezing nights.

TA of 50 or 60 is fine. You should not have added all that baking soda.

Next year leave your TA alone and keep your pH in the 7.6-7.8 range.

Better to not drop your pH below 7.6 and don't add baking soda.

Reactions: Bperry
I have no issue with adjusting the chemistry now before it freezes. Was trying to ride the line between TFP guidelines and the pool contractors instructions. Could this damage the finish?

You cannot easily adjust the chemistry now and get the pool chemistry stable.

Leave it alone. Tinkering can only lead you further into the unknown.

Even with a large pump going and brushing? I really don’t want to mess up my finish

If you want a busywork placebo then do whatever.

Brushing has no impact on the finish at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not brushing for the finish, brushing to mix up the water and chemicals. Figured that and a 3200 GPH pump would mix things up enough. How do the ‘winter watch’ pool companies do it for pools that were plastered in the fall? Pool plasterer wanted my alkalinity between 80 and 120 hence adding the backing soda.

Not brushing for the finish, brushing to mix up the water and chemicals. Figured that and a 3200 GPH pump would mix things up enough. How do the ‘winter watch’ pool companies do it for pools that were plastered in the fall?

They just adjust the water level. They don't make any chemistry adjustments.

Pool plasterer wanted my alkalinity between 80 and 120 hence adding the backing soda.

That is between you and the pool plasterer.

I would tell you that your warranty is worthless after the first few months and to take control of your pool. The quality of your plaster was baked in at installation. Your water chemistry and brushing will make no difference as long as it is anywhere between TFP and your plasterers guidelines .

They just adjust the water level. They don't make any chemistry adjustments.

That is between you and the pool plasterer.

I would tell you that your warranty is worthless after the first few months and to take control of your pool. The quality of your plaster was baked in at installation. Your water chemistry and brushing will make no difference as long as it is anywhere between TFP and your plasterers guidelines .
Well if I’m totally screwed at this point, is it at least better to be on the scaling side of things? Can any scaling be removed?

You are not screwed and are unlikely to have scaling with a CH of 275.

pH will always rise in a closed covered pool in the winter. It is what it does.

If you ever get a bit of scale over the winter then you run your CSI around -0.6 to -0.7 for a month or so when opening the pool and it will melt off.

You are not screwed and are unlikely to have scaling with a CH of 275.

pH will always rise in a closed covered pool in the winter. It is what it does.

If you ever get a bit of scale over the winter then you run your CSI around -0.6 to -0.7 for a month or so when opening the pool and it will melt off.
Was looking at a bunch of old TFP posts that recommended adding some MA with the sump pump running to try to keep the pH at 8.2 and at least measurable by TFP kit. I do have a solid cover. Adding acid all summer kept lowering my TA as well. I want to do whatever will give me the least chance of having a messed up finish in April on my brand new pool. Idc if i have to take the cover off and drop 5 pumps and a bubbler in to mix it up.

Was looking at a bunch of old TFP posts that recommended adding some MA with the sump pump running to try to keep the pH at 8.2 and at least measurable by TFP kit. I do have a solid cover. Adding acid all summer kept lowering my TA as well. I want to do whatever will give me the least chance of having a messed up finish in April on my brand new pool. Idc if i have to take the cover off and drop 5 pumps and a bubbler in to mix it up.
Nowhere is that “recommended “ .

Lots of folks muse about what they like to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.