Buckeye, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’ve been maintaining my new pool since June! All my numbers are good. This is the first time leaving it! I’ll be gone approximately 3 weeks! Pool is in AZ with expected temps from low 60s to mid 30s. I’ve already removed the SWG and been adding bleach! Any suggestions I can do beforehand so I don’t come back to a mess! There is hardly anything ever in my skimmer! Thanks in advance for any advice!

I was gone for a week last month. I upped my liquid chlorine and put 1 tablet (trichlor) into the feeder. I came back within the CYA/Chlorine chart levels (4.5). You'll be gone a lot longer, so this might work with more tablets in a feeder. What is your current water temperature?

Reactions: frankmcs
If your CYA is in regular SWG range, your SLAM FC is 28. That alone would get you most of the way. Is there anyone you could deputize to check it and bring back to SLAM mid trip ? These days you could FaceTime and be right there with them to walk them through it.

Or SLAM it and pay a neighbors kid to add a couple pucks to a floater each week ?

Reactions: frankmcs
I was gone for a week last month. I upped my liquid chlorine and put 1 tablet (trichlor) into the feeder. I came back within the CYA/Chlorine chart levels (4.5). You'll be gone a lot longer, so this might work with more tablets in a feeder. What is your current water temperature?
58 degrees.

With your testing, how has the FC held? What amounts have you been using over the last few weeks? You could get by with that information from your test kit and the suggestions posted above.

If you have been adding a relatively consistent amount of chlorine per week, for the last month or so, then prepare that amount, plus a few extra ounces for good measure, in the appropriate container, times three. Old chlorine jugs are best, obviously, but old large soda bottles work, anything really. Then have a neighbor just dump in one jug once a week for each week you are gone.

Personally, I wouldn't use pucks for anything. And a SLAM seems excessive (though it would certainly work). Just instruct a friend or neighbor to dump in your pre-measured chlorine during your pump's runtime, and let it go at that. No testing required. No measuring required. EZPZ. You'll come back to a sanitized pool with no extra CYA and would have spent a normal amount on chlorine.

If you've been sharing your pool with friends or family or neighbors, those are the targets. They can hardly say "no."

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.