Winter questions - inground, salt water pool

Apr 18, 2016
Indian Land,.SC
Hello there!
I am in South Carolina--about 15 miles South of Charlotte, NC.
My pool info is: built 2007, 16x20 inground, saltwater, 14,000gals, Pebbletec, Jandy system CL580, Jandy salt. I have been told that I only have to run my pump about 2 hours each night. I have a big Stealth pump. Also, suggested to not use the salt generator but use the chlorine "hockey pucks" in a floating dispenser. Also, do I have to run the auto vacuum at all during these months? I am basically asking what needs to be done as I don't have a cover and am a first time pool owner. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

2 hours per day is enough pump time, but you'll want to run the pump continuous if there's any risk of freezing.

Yes, the SWG will not produce chlorine when the water gets too cold. Adding chlorinating liquid or plain, unscented bleach will be more predictable and less risky than pucks. Get a good test kit (e.g. TF100 from tftestkits.net) and you should be able to top up your chlorine once every week or two and be fine for the winter.

Here are the recommended ranges and a primer on Trouble Free Pool Care.
Pool School - Recommended Levels
TFPC for Beginners

Hi there Heiwith :)

In the winter I let my pump run just a few hours a day to keep the surface skimmed (particularly when I open my autocover to let the pool "breath" even in the winter). On the very few nights that are expected to be below freezing we run the pump all night long. Skippy covers the equipment pad with a tarp and hangs an auto light under there too just to keep it a skosh warmer.

As to the Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG), most of them stop working and won't produce chlorine when the water goes below 55 or 60 degrees. So best thing to do is just turn it off and use *liquid chlorine* aka "bleach" to maintain your FC level. You won't have to add it often as the cold water and indirect winter UV rays won't be using up the chlorine as fast as in summer. Bleach is ideal as it doesn't add any unwanted ingredients to the water like CYA or calcium which can build up and cause mega problems. Its cheap too! :goodjob:

If you want to cover your pool you can, or just leave it open. I like to look at my water even in the winter rather than a covered closed pool. If left open (and manuy do) you will have to occasionally net out any leaves and debris you get. Any debris left in the water risks causing FC loss (as the chlorine will be trying to oxidize it away) or possible stains to the pool finish. You also don't want to risk anything large going into the vacuum line and clogging it. We get gumballs, pinecones and acorns which can be a nuisance.

Continue testing your water. You'll find you won't have to do it very often (say every 2 weeks or so?) as everything slows down in the cold water. But keeping your pool chemistry in line is still important as that helps protect your pool surface and equipment for the long haul.

Here are the recommended levels we suggest --> Pool School - Recommended Levels

Holler back with any other questions you have. We're happy to help!

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

2 hours per day is enough pump time, but you'll want to run the pump continuous if there's any risk of freezing.

Yes, the SWG will not produce chlorine when the water gets too cold. Adding chlorinating liquid or plain, unscented bleach will be more predictable and less risky than pucks. Get a good test kit (e.g. TF100 from tftestkits.net) and you should be able to top up your chlorine once every week or two and be fine for the winter.

Here are the recommended ranges and a primer on Trouble Free Pool Care.
Pool School - Recommended Levels
TFPC for Beginners

THanks for the info. I will definitely get the bleach... glad I asked. I have a timer with a freeze warning on it and will go on automatically if too cold.
Appreciate the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info yippeeskippy. I do keep the pool open and the pump timer has a "freeze warning" so it will go on automatically if temps get too low.
I haven't been running the SWG, and you are the 3rd person I heard from regarding using bleach. So glad I asked that. How about PH and alkalinity levels? Do you use muriatic acid?
I don't use a cover, and do skim out debris when I see it. So, I guess I don't have to run the Polaris vacuum then. :)
Thanks again!

Thanks for the info yippeeskippy. I do keep the pool open and the pump timer has a "freeze warning" so it will go on automatically if temps get too low.
I haven't been running the SWG, and you are the 3rd person I heard from regarding using bleach. So glad I asked that. How about PH and alkalinity levels? Do you use muriatic acid?
I don't use a cover, and do skim out debris when I see it. So, I guess I don't have to run the Polaris vacuum then. :smile:
Thanks again!

Bleach is the exact same chemical that pool stores sell calling it "liquid chlorine" except the strength varies. Household bleach is anywhere from 6 to 8.25%, whereas liquid chlorine from the pool store is usually between 10 and 12%. The TFP PoolMath app can tell you exactly how much to use as long as you input what strength chlorine you have on hand.

Yeah, we use Muriatic Acid when necessary... but my pool doesn't need the pH adjusted very often. Even with my SWG. My pool seems to like to live at a pH of 7.8. I think we used MA only twice this summer. My alkalinity stays equally stable this year. It almost gets boring, LOL!

You can use your Polaris vacuum, sure... ya sure you wanna reach in that cold water to empty the collection bag though? (just kidding!) Do whatever you need to do to clean the pool out.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.