Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hello

First year pool owner here. I’m wondering what schedule I should run my variable speed pump at in the winter. I live in Phoenix, so there is no concern with freezing. I do have a SWG but it should have no problem maintaining a safe chlorine level in winter.

My summer schedule runs 12 hours. Installer set it up.
8pm-4am 1700 RPM
4am-8am 2800 RPM

Thanks for your advice.

VSF - Pentair intelliflo Pro 3

Why change the schedule for the winter?

What is running at 2800 rpm supposed to accomplish?

2800 is for my in floor cleaning system.
Add the IFCS to your signature, incliding manufacturer and model number.

SRP or APS?
Time of day or standard electric rates?

At a minimum, you need to run the pump long enough and fast enough for the SWG to produce the chlorine needed.

What is the minimum RPM that you can run your pump and still satisfy the SWG flow switch?
If you don't know - start with a clean filter and reduce the pump speed by 100 RPM until the SWG flow light comes on. Then increase in 100 RPM increments until the flow light goes out. Add 200 RPM to that RPM to account for the filter getting dirty. That speed will be the one to use unless you need the IFCS to clean the pool.

Chances are you might be able to save some money by adjusting your pump speeds.

In Chandler (SRP), I run 24/7 year round for less than $20 per month.
20 hours at 1200 rpm and 4 hours at 2800 rpm (two 2 hour blocks for my IFCS).
For my setup, this schedule satisfies the SWG flow switch while providing adequate skimming and cleaning.

The SWG will stop producing when the water temperarure drops below around 55 degrees (not sure of the exact temp on the Pentair SWG) and you will need to add liquid chlorine during the colder months.

Looking at your PoolMath logs, your CSI is too high.
Work on keeping the CSI in the 0.00 to -0.30 (negative 0.30) range to minimize scale in the SWG.
Actively manage pH and TA. Work the TA down to 60 as it will help slow pH rise.
If you don't have a water softener plumbed to your autofill, your CH will rise by 200 or more every year do to evaporation.

What is the CH, pH and TA of your fill water?

You need to run your pump enough for your IFCS and to generate the necessary chlorine from your cell.

You can experiment with what runtime works for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.