Jun 1, 2016
Saugus
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone,

I am closing my above ground pool and am looking for some help and suggestions. Last year we got a pretty bad noreaster that took the cover off my pool and had my neighbors shed in my driveway:D. This year around I am trying to avoid that as best as possible. Please see below for questions:

• Every two years I buy a new winter cover from my local pool store. The cover only lasts two years and costs roughly 49.00 dollars. Am I better off investing in a more expensive cover that will last longer? Any suggestions on brand?
  • When I close the pool I always have a hard time keeping the cover on as I am pulling it over the pool pillow. I saw that they make clips for your pool cover. Any brand in particular? I saw a few online that had mixed reviews due to cracking. How many would I need for a 28' diameter pool?
  • I am looking for an alternate way of securing the cover to the ground. Last year the cable snapped due to the wind. Besides water pillows are there any products that you can use to secure your pool cover to the ground? Any DIY strategies?
  • For the past three years, I have been using a pool air pillow and have had mixed results. Some years it stays inflated and others it collapses and I am taking the cover off in the middle of the winter to replace it. Is anyone using something different that will last longer? Would I be better off using an exercise ball or tire inner tube?

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Artistg90:

Please add your signature - Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Lately, the advice provided is to install a leaf net over the pool to catch the leaves and then leave uncovered. For some reason, AGP always seems to run into problems. If it makes you feel any better, a regular tarp for my pool will only last 4-5 years and it is double the cost. Unfortunately, covers and tarps do not last long.

Also, I am assuming pillows are used and this is the reason why the cover is short. If you leave the pool open late and open early, then you will not experience any issues either. Around this time, you can also cut your pump run time to no more than 2 hours daily, again depending on where you live. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi Everyone,

I am closing my above ground pool and am looking for some help and suggestions. Last year we got a pretty bad noreaster that took the cover off my pool and had my neighbors shed in my driveway:D. This year around I am trying to avoid that as best as possible. Please see below for questions:

• Every two years I buy a new winter cover from my local pool store. The cover only lasts two years and costs roughly 49.00 dollars. Am I better off investing in a more expensive cover that will last longer? Any suggestions on brand?
  • When I close the pool I always have a hard time keeping the cover on as I am pulling it over the pool pillow. I saw that they make clips for your pool cover. Any brand in particular? I saw a few online that had mixed reviews due to cracking. How many would I need for a 28' diameter pool?
  • I am looking for an alternate way of securing the cover to the ground. Last year the cable snapped due to the wind. Besides water pillows are there any products that you can use to secure your pool cover to the ground? Any DIY strategies?
  • For the past three years, I have been using a pool air pillow and have had mixed results. Some years it stays inflated and others it collapses and I am taking the cover off in the middle of the winter to replace it. Is anyone using something different that will last longer? Would I be better off using an exercise ball or tire inner tube?

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.
I use the cable and those big clips from home depot and my cover didn't fly off! Instead of those cheap pillows I used a big floating ring that the kids use in the summer I buy extras and use one as a pillow. I use a mesh cover because I got tired of pumping the water off my cover. Hope that helps.
a115b4562892fe3c9b5210dda976f811.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.