Montgomery Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
People in the Houston Tx area. This coming winter will be my first winter since converting from liquid to swg. Do y’all have issues with the Swg generating in the winter months? If so do y’all take out the Swg or just turn the percentage off and convert back to liquid? I’m using a Jandy Aquapure 1400

JJ just chimed in on this exact question for somebody else. Have a read until others chime in here. :)

If I lived near you, I would leave my cell in place and let it produce FC as long as it could, or whenever it warmed up a little. I'd test and manually dose when needed. That part will be the same as you remember it, the FC lasts a long time when it's cool enough for the SWG to shut down.

Just south of you, on the border of Houston and Spring.

I pretty much have just been running it (in decreasing increments) until the water hits about 65 degrees, then I swap to dosing with bleach. I don't have a heater so by that time I'm not getting in it until the following summer, so I don't really even stress about keeping it within sanitized parameters- I just keep the CSI in check and keep all of the leaves out, etc... I don't remove the cell, but if a hard freeze is predicted I make absolutely sure everything on the equipment pad is drained. Yeah, Hayward has the freeze protection mode. And it works as-advertised- until the power goes out and you have to get out there in the middle of the night and drain everything before it freezes. Not that such a thing has ever happened..............

People in the Houston Tx area. This coming winter will be my first winter since converting from liquid to swg. Do y’all have issues with the Swg generating in the winter months? If so do y’all take out the Swg or just turn the percentage off and convert back to liquid? I’m using a Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have the exact same SWCG. I kept mine plumbed in but turned the cell to ZERO in January & February. I used liquid chlorine - either from WalMart or from Pinch a Penny. I have a floater for pucks which I occassionally use also, if my CYA is on the low side. (I will need it to increase as summer starts).

Do y’all have issues with the Swg generating in the winter months?
The SWCG will shutoff once the water is cold enough. However, FC demand during the winter is almost nothing. I went through a grand total of two gallons of LC last winter. Leave the SWCG in place unless there's risk of freeze damage.

Reactions: Newdude
I blew my system darn near dry with my large shop vac. In TX you'd only need to get the the water in the pipes a foot or so below grade because it would be warm again soon enough. The standard issue shop vac hose was the perfect size for the standard issue Hayward skimmer. I closed with near freezing temps last year like y'alls might with a deep freeze on the way.

Reactions: Walter2050
I blew my system darn near dry with my large shop vac. In TX you'd only need to get the the water in the pipes a foot or so below grade because it would be warm again soon enough. The standard issue shop vac hose was the perfect size for the standard issue Hayward skimmer. I closed with near freezing temps last year like y'alls might with a deep freeze on the way.

Not worried about freezing pipes I have a home back up generator. So the pool will be running in the winter.

Reactions: Newdude
Not worried about freezing pipes I have a home back up generator. So the pool will be running in the winter.
Have a backup plan, though- A friend of mine back in Louisiana had a backup generator, which would have been great except gas service went down, too, during a weather event.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.