Winter Cover

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I have always used a Loop Lok solid safety cover the past 5 years of owning my inground pool. Last year I had the concrete replaced and I really do not want to go with the anchored type cover. So I have been looking at different winter covers. I have a few questions for everyone that has one or has knowledge about them.

1-Can I place the pump I used for my solid cover on a winter cover to automatically pump the water off when it rains?
2-Can I close my pool as I did with my solid cover(add polyquat, blow out the lines, and drain the sand filter)? I understand that I cannot drop the water down as low as I did in the past.

Any additional info or suggestions on brands would be great also.

I have always used a Loop Lok solid safety cover the past 5 years of owning my inground pool. Last year I had the concrete replaced and I really do not want to go with the anchored type cover. So I have been looking at different winter covers. I have a few questions for everyone that has one or has knowledge about them.

1-Can I place the pump I used for my solid cover on a winter cover to automatically pump the water off when it rains?
2-Can I close my pool as I did with my solid cover(add polyquat, blow out the lines, and drain the sand filter)? I understand that I cannot drop the water down as low as I did in the past.

Any additional info or suggestions on brands would be great also.

#1 depends on what your replacement cover is. I would drill for anchors and continue using the $3000 looplock.

#2 I don't see why not. Last part still dependant on what cover you end up going with.

My old cover is likely 10 years old as it was "well used" when I moved in 6 years ago. So I would need to purchase a new cover either way.

1-Winter covers all seem to be a type of heavy duty tarp. I am looking at solid covers that will be held in place by water tubes. I did like the safety cover but it is hard to hand by yourself and I do NOT like the anchors being drilled as they in time strip, come loose, crack the concrete around them, etc..

2-Is the main purpose of lowering the water to keep the skimmer "dry"? Other than that, I see no other down side to not being able to drain it down.

My old cover is likely 10 years old as it was "well used" when I moved in 6 years ago. So I would need to purchase a new cover either way.

1-Winter covers all seem to be a type of heavy duty tarp. I am looking at solid covers that will be held in place by water tubes. I did like the safety cover but it is hard to hand by yourself and I do NOT like the anchors being drilled as they in time strip, come loose, crack the concrete around them, etc..

2-Is the main purpose of lowering the water to keep the skimmer "dry"? Other than that, I see no other down side to not being able to drain it down.

If you are not using a safety cover, I would not use any cover at all. Just leave it uncovered. If your pool is properly winterized, water in your skimmers is not a big deal. Mine get it every year. You can always drain some water in the winter if it gets too full.

I left it fully open this past winter and let the automation control it during freezing temp. I did NOT like going out once a week and vacuuming all the leaves out as we are fully surrounded by large oak trees. Also, with it being uncovered, I had to add chlorine on a regular bases. Those are the two big reasons I want to have some type of solid cover.

I can't imagine that a solid cover with water bags is easier to handle than a solid safety cover. Are you absolutely sure no one can access your yard where the pool is located? Personally, water bag covers are too much of a safety risk for me.

Noticed you are in SC. I would guess most pool owners in your area keep their pools open all year long.

I can't imagine that a solid cover with water bags is easier to handle than a solid safety cover. Are you absolutely sure no one can access your yard where the pool is located? Personally, water bag covers are too much of a safety risk for me.

Noticed you are in SC. I would guess most pool owners in your area keep their pools open all year long.

Unless things have changed.. my old loop loc cover is near impossible to pick up. I would guess it's around 100 to 150 pounds and very awkward to manage as it's about a 4' square when it's folded up. It's even hard to lift it onto the wagon that I use to haul it from the pool to the garage for storage. The mesh ones are manageable. The solid winter covers weight about 40 pounds from what I have been reading. My pool is 100% fenced in. Only concern we have is wildlife finding its way in. We do not have any close by neighbors. and for people in SC.. I would say about 50% close vs leaving them open. I for one absolutely hated leaving it open last winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is no where near as heavy as mine. Mine is thick and stiff. But installing and removing is not my issue. I do NOT want to drill holes in my new concrete. That's the main reason I am looking at other options. Not trying to debate if I can or cannot or how to. I stalled and removed it myself for the past six years.
I understand about not wanting to drill the holes & the weight of Loop-Loc, but a solid cover with water bags has its own set of problems. I've used cover/water bags for about 23 years and found it is a lot of work in the spring to clean off the bags and get them dry enough to store for the summer. Also, we found we needed to bungee the cover to the fence posts as well as use the water bags, especially if windy. And I had a cat that loved to sharpen claws on the water bags :oops: resulting in multiple bag replacements (beloved cat crossed the rainbow bridge). But I haven't found an alternative -let us know if you do!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.